••three••

••three••

Much to her surprise, Marion awoke with wrist cramped and the fingers on her right hand wrapped loosely around the pencil and the unfinished letter resting beneath it.

The sounds of men talking and suitcase buckles filled her ears and she stretched her aching limbs and ran her fingers through her hair, remembering the loss of its length.

The train had stopped. The steady jostle of the car and the chugging rhythm had ceased.

"Come on, kid. The bus will be here in fifteen minutes." Slick pulled the curtains apart and light flooded the small bunk as Marion shielded her eyes from the sudden blinding brightness.

With a sigh, she hopped down and dragged her suitcase to the bathroom, barely able to walk while holding it with both hands. Men gestured toward her, chuckling and shaking their heads. "You'll have to get used to the lack of privacy, Sax. Especially when you can hardly carry your own suitcase." someone called out from behind her. Marion's stomach turned with embarrassment and the tips of her ears grew hot.

Thomas rounded the corner, walking into the situation and noticing the cause of the laughter as the petrified girl stood in front of him with both arms straining to hold the suitcase and hair stuck out in different directions.

He smirked amusedly. "Need help, Marty?"

Marion huffed and stood up tall, pulling the case by her side and doing her best to appear independent. "I've got it."

Her heart beat fast as she locked the door of the bathroom and closed her eyes with a sigh. She breathed for a moment, letting her surrounding envelope her as she did her best to accept it. Marion started to doubt that her amazing plan would actually play out, but she couldn't give up now.

She unlocked her bag and slipped on the light brown suit pants, tied her black tie, and rolled up the sleeves on her brothers white dress shirt. She took a look in the mirror and quickly tamed her hair with water from the tap and her small black comb.

The figure in the mirror was unfamiliar and strange. Marion found herself unable to look away from the reflection of her boyish hair and clothing and wondered what her mother would say of she saw her right then.

A knock on the bathroom door startled her and she jumped. "Bus is here!" someone yelled.

She tossed everything in her suitcase and left the bathroom quickly before pulling her father's saxophone case from the shelf beside her bunk and slipping her brother's shoes on.

"Let's go, Marty." Burt urged, discovering the paper on top of the mess of sheets and reading the first line. "Delilah? Is that your girl, kid?" he asked, nudging her with a raised brow as his eyes traveled down the page.

Marion took the letter from his fingers and shoved it in her suit pocket. "Yes." she said quickly, not wanting him to read further of what was written.

Marion stepped off of the train and the sun warmed her pale freckling face. With her suit jacket slung over her shoulder, she boarded the bus. "Are we in Chicago?" she asked Burt, who sat next to her, tuning his cello.

"You bet. Just outside of the city and then we get to the country club. We play our first gig tonight." he responded over the noise of the loud bus engine.

As she sat there, her eyes wandering out the window at the sights of Chicago, Marion noticed someone approach her out of the corner of her eye.

"Marty, the sax?"

Her attention averted to the boy. "Hi, I'm Jim." he held his hand out for her to shake and smiled. Right away, she noticed how nice his teeth were. Jim looked to be about eighteen and she guessed he was the youngest of the bunch.

"Nice to meet you." she said simply.

"I just wanted to tell you not to mind these guys. They tease and all but they don't mean anything by it. Just a bit a fun, I suppose." he explained, scrunching his nose.

"I'm sure. Thanks." Marion responded. "What do you play?"

"Oh, I play the drums alright. There are twenty of us, about. It gets a tad crazy once in a blue moon, you know." Jim said, sitting in the empty seat in front of her.

"Once in a blue moon? Is that all?" Marion chuckled, but closed her mouth quickly upon noticing that the sound, in no way, sounded like one a man should make.

"Well, more like when the sun rises and until moon comes out. It's lots of fun though." Jim said before turning around and facing the front of the bus as the doors closed with a screech and they started to move.

Thomas stood at the front, scanning the heads of everyone, his lips moving as though he was mentally counting. When his eyes reached Marions, they lingered for a second before he continued on down the isle. He looked for an empty seat and sat next to a man Marion had yet to meet and instantly began small talk.

Thomas was tall and thin, his hair slicked over and an over all boyish quality to him. He was confident, both in himself and in his idea to get the band rich and famous and not a trace of doubt threatened to pry itself into his mind.

"What do you think of the new kid?" Tony, one of the trumpet players, asked Thomas. "He seems a bit queer to me."

"I think he's alright. Just not used to us, is all." Thomas glanced at Marion. From the start, Marty seemed a bit strange to him, but he couldn't put understand why.

"Did you see him trying to carry that bag into the bathroom this morning? Like he's got something to hide. What if he's some Nazi spy or something?" Jeffery stated.

"I'm sure he's just a kid." Thomas reassured them, but unsure if he believed his own words..

•••

A/N

Wow so I felt like writing today so here you go!

Thanks guys!

Love love love