Chapter Thirty Six

"Hi! Gugu! How are you? Is everything arranged already for the Ascension Ceremony tomorrow? Do you need any help?"  Xiao Bai asked when she spotted Bai Qian inside Wuxi Hall which was uncommonly untidy as all the ceremonial paraphernalia for the ceremony has been taken outside of storage and placed there temporarily.  Xiao Bai and her family had just arrived in Tai Chen Palace the day before for the event and while Donghua was in a meeting with Crown Prince Ye Hua, Xiao Bai thought that she should pop over to see if her aunt needed her help.

"Everything's almost ready for the Ceremony itself.  The staff here at Tai Chen Palace are nothing if not efficient.  However, I'm still dealing with issues of protocol as most of the Realm's monarchs and their families are here this week so there's been some 'questions' of precedence." Bai Qian said rolling her eyes, impatient as always when it comes to court politics.

The Ascension to the Throne of the Sky Kingdom of Crown Prince Ye Hua to Emperor and Bai Qian herself to Empress was one of the most important event in the Immortal Realms calendar as such all the important families and leaders across the Immortal Realms have travelled to the Palace for the auspicious event.  As with all major events wherein the majority of the Court families were present, there has been some wrangling over the positioning among the more important families.  Everyone wanted to be seated nearest to the throne.  "It's actually the KIng of the Eastern Realm that has been causing the most problem.  He's been making demands left and right.  He believes that he should be sitting one step down on the left side of the throne where the other Princes of the Sky Kingdom usually sit."  

"Can he sit there? I thought only the Princes of Royal Blood were allowed to sit there?"  Xiao Bai knew that with the so many rules and regulations governing the Sky Kingdom, even the seating arrangement were carefully curated as to avoid any offense being made.  Only Donghua Dijun, who held no position in Court anymore was the exception as he always sat in his own dais directly to the right of Tianjun whenever he deigns to attend Court sessions.  

"Well, technically, he is a the cousin of Hao De Tianjun.  When Dijun retired, his father was also running for the position of Tianjun against Hao De's father, Hao Ye.  It almost caused a war.  Of course, when Dijun declared the seat be given to Hao Ye, he could not say anything any more.  Up to now, I think their family feels that they were robbed of the position owing to Dijun's edict." she said rubbing her forehead.  "Life's going to be more complicated now.  Ye Hua's going to be busier than before, I barely see him now as it is, but when he's Tianjun, I'll probably see even less of him. I should be used to it by now."  she said sadly.  Xiao Bai look at her with concern not used to seeing the emotional side of her Gugu, she was always strong and stoic, a little like Dijun.  But then, Dijun was also not  really stoic like he appeared in public, he felt deeply and cared more than he let on.  Bai Qian was probably like that also.        

"Anyway, let's not talk about that any more.  Everyone has their roles to play in life.  Sometimes, you just have to accept it.  Nothing you can do to change it anyway.  Let's talk about more pleasant things.  Where's the little prince and princess? I haven't seen them in awhile!  I miss them! Why didn't you bring them with you here?"  

"I had to leave them in our villa because if I bring them around with me, the whole of Tai Chen Palace would be warded, I think that would be inconvenient for all the guests coming in and out." Xiao Bai said blandly trying to lighten the mood.  "Dijun is worried about the number of unknown people around so it was either they stay in the villa and only the villa is warded, or he wards the entire Palace."  Xiao Bai shrugged as if this overprotectiveness was the most natural thing in the world.  Bai Qian merely smiled and shook her head as she also spotted the individual protective ward around Xiao Bai.  Even after all these years, thinking of the way Dijun acts towards Jiu'er never fails to amuse her.