Chapter Forty Nine

Deep in the darkest forest in the Mortal Realms, a malevolent creature held court with the foulest beings, the derelicts, the dregs that walked both the Immortal and Mortal Realms. The evil coating the air was palpable. Her plan was coming to fruition, it was only a matter of time. It had taken her a long time to get back her power, this was her final salvo and she knew that she could not fail.

The Demoness mentally projected herself towards the Beast. Like calling on like. She had been feeding the Beast for awhile now under the cover of darkness. Despite the additional patrols over the area of the Beast, this new generation of Immortals were no match for her. She had not gotten back her full cultivation, her former power so she knew that the Beast was the key to her victory. She whispered a frequent litany to it, "Kill Donghua and you will be the most powerful of them all. But to kill Donghua, you need the Fox Queen."

***

Donghua came out of seclusion extremely disturbed. He had taken the vessel that had trapped the evil essence into the deep cavern where he knew that any toxicity will be contained. It had taken him a long time to divine what was in it. He felt the faintest trace of someone he never expected to encounter again. How can the essence of Miao Luo be in the vessel? Her life ended inside the Miaoyi Chasm. But Donghua knew he had not made a mistake. It was definitely her. He quickly teleported back to Bihai Cangling to look into the Miao Hua Mirror. It was only when he traced the life of the Demoness from the moment of her birth until the time he met her that he finally saw that in her youth, the latter had sent a broken off sliver of her primordial spirit into the Mortal Realms. As Donghua traced the sliver of the primordial spirit through its lifetime, he saw that using the most base, evil magic available, Miao Luo had carefully crafted back that small piece of primordial spirit into what she was right now, neither truly immortal yet but not a true shadow of her formal self. If her goal was to regain her former power, she would need the Qingtian Beast. Donghua knew he had to act quickly before she could accomplish whatever she was planning.

***

The attack by the Qingtian Beast on Qingqiu came unexpectedly, an attack that they could not have prepared for. It was the tail end of a summer day when the screaming started. A shadow had darkened a wide swath of land that had been brightly lit by the sun. Before the people realized what was happening, the Beast had already manage to kill a number of people who were unfortunate enough to have been in its path when it had swooped in.

"Dihou, reports are coming in of an attack on the main city square by a demon beast with 3 heads." Migu said as soon as he entered the Fox Cavern. Xiao Bai looked up from what she was doing in alarm knowing exactly what the 3 headed beast was but hoping she was wrong. The attack could not have come at a worst time. Donghua was in the Mortal Realms and even if knew about the attack, he would not be able to come back immediately for he was in an area in the Mortal Realms where he cannot teleport directly back to the Immortal Realms. It would take him at least a day to come back. Her father and grandfather who were both supposed to be in Qingqiu were now out tracking some demonic activities that have flared up in the outer portions of the Fox Realm. She knew she was the only one now who can protect her people.  The only good news was that both of her children were not in Qingqiu. They had both just started their discipleships and training, Xiao Wei was discipling in Kunlun Mountain under Mo Yuan while Xiao Hua was in Peach Blossom Orchard discipling under Zhe Yan.

"Has anyone been injured or killed?" she ask dreading the answer because she knew that the death and injury toll from an attack by the Qingtian Beast would be devastating. Donghua had told her of the power of the Beast and warned her about the disturbance where it was sealed. The Sea Kingdom have been reasonably certain that the Mandarin Rings would hold but Donghua had been less than assured. Hence, he had been in the Mortal Realms to find and confirm the source of the the spirit inciting the beast knowing that it was where it was hiding, afterwhich he will be journeying to the Sea Kingdom to further assess the binding. He had cautioned Xiao Bai repeatedly of the imminent danger, however, none of them expected the Beast to be able to break free and to attack Qingqiu itself before Donghua could see the situation for himself.