Chapter Forty Four

"You want A'Li to get married?  Isn't he a little too young?" Xiao Bai asked her Gugu who was rubbing her temples while nursing the worse hangover.  Her Gugu arrived at Bihai Cangling the day before claiming that she needed a little space and rest from the politics in court.  In celebration of her freedom for a few days, she had indulged herself with the Peach wines she bought as gifts to Dijun and Xiao Bai.  

"Well, he's already 80,000 years old, he can't just keep traipsing around the different Kingdoms for his research and studies.  It's high time he got married and settled down."  Bai Qian said exasperatedly.  "We just received an envoy from the Sea Kingdom proposing a marriage between the King's eldest daughter and A'Li.  It seems to be a good match.  Their ages are compatible and I know they've met a few times in the past.  Based on the gossip mill and by that, I mean Si Ming and Liansong, she's one of the most intelligent young ladies in the Immortal Realms.  She'll be a good match for him with his obsession with his researches.  It doesn't hurt also that the Sea Kingdom is one of the most prosperous and powerful in the Northern Realm, an alliance with them can only bring advantages to the Sky Kingdom especially now with the unrest with the Demon Clan.  Ye Hua is inclined to accept it."  One of the burdens faced by the heirs of the different Kingdoms of the Realms was that their marriages were often dictated by the need to make alliances between the different Kingdoms.  Prince A'Li as the heir to the Sky Kingdom was a very popular potential son in law for any of the Kingdoms.  Aside from later on becoming Tianjun, he's handsome, intelligent, articulate and very, very well connected.  As such, he was considered the most eligible of all the Princes in the Immortal Realms. Never a week will pass by that the Sky Kingdom does not receive an envoy asking for an audience with Ye Hua Tianjun to discuss a potential match with the most beautiful and talented princesses of the Realms.   

"What does A'Li say?  Is he amendable to it? I thought he wanted to marry Li Yue?"  Xiao Bai pulled a face.  She knew that A'Li had always been interested in the Princess Ka Li Yue of the Demon Clan, one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful Princess, of her generation for the past few years now.  Bai Qian made a small sound of disgust which was softly echoed by Xiao Bai.  Everyone, except for A'Li who was blinded by the flushes of first love, knew how domineering and petulant Ka Li Yue was.  And how cruel to people she felt were inferior to her.  Everyone in the Bai Clan was dismayed when A'Li had introduced her to them.  Bai Qian definitely did not want her for a daughter in law.

"You know how he is, stubborn as a mule.  He has been refusing to sign the marriage pact saying that if we force him, he'll break it.  I don't understand how he like Ka Li Yue so much, she just strings him along.  For someone so intelligent, I don't know how he can be so manipulated by her."

"I think it's probably because this is the first girl he has been interested in so his mind is not working in its usual logical manner. "  Xiao Bai said thoughtfully.  

 "Jiu'er, maybe you can ask Dijun to talk to him about this.  You know how he listens to him most of the time."  Bai Qian said knowing how her son idolizes Dijun.  She really wanted A'Li to get over this infatuation with Ka Li Yue, the sooner, the better.  

"Ummm...I don't think Donghua's one for relationship advice to be honest.  He's never had to really navigate his way through throngs of marriage proposals that I'm sure A'Li is getting, everyone was just too afraid to approach him.  You know he lived like a monk before he met me, so I don't think he has that much experience in it. But I'll ask him, see what he thinks."  Xiao Bai said smiling at the idea of Donghua dispensing relationship advice.  

***                 

"An alliance with the Sea Kingdom?  That seems like a good match for A'Li.  Mei Qi Li Dijun is a man of integrity and A'Li can only benefit from an alliance with them when he takes the throne."  Donghua said when Xiao Bai narrated what Gugu and Uncle Ye Hua were planning for A'Li that night in their room.  "However, Ye Hua has to navigate carefully there because they're not as thick skinned as we are.  They take everything so seriously."  he said thoughtfully having met the Qi Li Dijun a few times in the past and knew that any offense made against them were taken very seriously.