Clara

Clara POV:

"Well okay then," I say nervously.

Anthony had just called me, it worries me that Kai will get in even more trouble if Anthony continues to bother me.

After we finish dinner, we clean up.

Kai turns to me, his messy black hair falling in front of his dark, brown eyes. He use his hand to move his hair out of the way, "well, you can leave if you want."

No I never want to leave.

"Oh well..." I smile, trying my best to seem happy, even though I was scared to leave.

Kai stands there, his hands in his pockets, "well?"

"Well I guess I could go," I laugh a bit.

No please, let me stay.

"Do you wan't to stay?" Kai asks, curious, he probably thinks I'm acting weird.

Yes.

"Oh, no I should get home," I lie.

Please don't let me go home.

"Oh..." He looks to the side, "well alright, I'll take you home."

Please don't.

I nod happily, "let's go then."

No, let's stay here forever.

Kai and I walk out to his car and get in, "well that was fun." He would say, starting the car.

"It was, but sadly I have to get home before my dad gets off of work."

I don't have to get home. Let me stay.

"Ah I see," he pulls out of the driveway.

No, please.

He starts driving to my house, and after a few minutes he pulls into my driveway quietly.

My heart stops beating.

My dad was already home, I could see his car parked too. I sit there for a few seconds, not wanting to move.

Kai turns to me after turning off the car engine, "you gonna go?"

I don't want to respond, I want to cry, and beg for him to go back. "Yeah,"

I get out of the car and Kai does the same. He walks with me to the front door.

No.

"Well," he says, "I guess you have to go now."

No I don't. Please.

"Yeah, it was fun while it lasted," I shrug.

I want it to last forever.

"Yeah, it was." He replies, staring at the ground with his hand in his pockets.

"Hm..." I stand there, my feet not wanting to take a single step closer to my house.

I want to run back, or run away. Run away with Kai. I want to stay with him, I can't go back in that house. I don't want to. I try my best not to cry, I try my best to smile as brightly as ever. It's so hard to do this, I want to leave. I start to zone out into the distance, thinking about all the things that will happen once I get inside. I can feel my eyes start to water, but I hold my tears back.

"What's wrong?" Kai says, I look over at him.

That's when I just can't hold back anymore.

I burst out in tears, reaching forward and wrapping my arms around him and sobbing right into his chest. He takes a small step back before wrapping his arms around me too.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's ok. Don't cry." Kai says soothingly as he holds me close.

"I-, I-" I try to speak between my ugly crying, "I'm sor-...sorry." I continue to let my emotions pour out like a tipped over water bottle. I don't know why I just cracked. I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Oh Kai.

He back up slightly and looks me in the eyes, "hey don't cry." His hand pushes the hair away from my face and behind my ear, "how about we just head back to my house?"

I nod, I couldn't even gather the strength to speak. All I could do was have wet, salty tears pour from my eyes.

We head back to the car.

Finally.

As Kai drives us back to his house, I stare out the window, slightly embarrassed for crying in front of him. To be honest, I don't think I've ever cried.

I always try to make Kai happy, so I'm always smiling and being cheery. I'll do anything for him. Ever since I confronted him as a kid, I felt like I couldn't leave him ever since. He means so much to me, and even though he may not be the best kid, I think he's perfect. His messy black hair, his dark brown eyes, the way he smiles, the way he laughs, everything about him is just so perfect. For most of my life, I've always seen him as a friend. A best friend. Recently, I feel like I find myself paying more attention than usual. He's always been here for me, he deserves everything.

And then there's Anthony. He's been talking to me often lately. I don't mind, I'm just really awkward around him, especially since he likes me and all. He isn't a bad guy or anything, and I'm starting to be more comfortable around him too. But then again, he has just appeared in my life. I don't know if I would want to be with him. Plus, he makes Kai mad.

We reach Kai's house once more. Luckily, I've stopped crying, but I still feel like things are awkward now. I get out of the car and we both head back inside. I just kind of stand at the front entrance of his house, not really knowing what to do after making him witness all of that.

Kai looks at me for a long while, before sighing and taking my hand. I feel a light pink rise in my cheeks. He doesn't say anything, all he does is lead me upstairs and back into his room. He lets go of my hand and then shuts the door. I stand in the middle of his room, unsure what is going on.

He lets out another sigh before saying, "Clara..."

Why does him saying my name feel so special?

"Yeah...?" I manage to croak out of my stupid mouth.

"Can you tell me what's going on?"

"I- well..." I manage to say, I stand there stupidly, unsure of how to even continue.

Kai steps closer to me and places his hands on my shoulders, "please...Clara." I can hear the pain in his voice and it only makes me want to hug him forever.

I look up at him, looking into the deep, dark brown eyes of his, "I just..." I look to the side, unable to maintain eye contact.

He lets go of my shoulders and sighs, "I think I know what's going on."

I stare at the ground, "you do?"

Kai lifts my chin, I look at him, wanting to cry again but forcing the tears back down, "Clara..." he says, I feel like he's about to kiss me but he probably isn't. "Is your father..." I break eye contact, I already know what he is going to say, "is your father abusive?"

I back away from him. How was I supposed to answer that type of question? Suddenly, Kai steps closer and lifts up my sleeve.

It kills me to see the pained look on his face.

It kills me to see him almost cry.

It kills me to have him see my arms.

My beaten and bruised arms.

------END OF CLARA POV------