Grave Mistakes Part 3

Thursday 24th June 1976

To take his mind off of all this prank crap, James proposed an evening on the grounds, baking in the sun and dipping their feet in the lake even though they'd do plenty of that over the summer holiday. Sirius only agreed because he thought Remus would be there too. He wasn't, Sirius came to find, only Peter and a basket of snacks.

"Has McGonagall talked to any of you about next year?" James asked, lifted his head to look at his friends who relaxed on the grass under the shade of a beech tree by the edge of the lake. They shook their heads. He groaned, flopping back down. "She pulled me into her office yesterday and was like 'have a biscuit, Potter' and then I found myself agreeing on tutoring Transfiguration revisions for next year and teaching at some Quidditch seminar. I mean shit, I think she spiked those biscuits or something!"

"Just admit it, you're her bitch," Sirius sighed.

"You're just jealous she likes me more than you," James shot back, putting his hand in his pocket and taking out a struggling Golden Snitch.

"Where'd you get that?" Peter asked curiously.

"Nicked it," he said casually. James started playing with the Snitch, allowing it to fly as much as a foot away before seizing it again; his reflexes were excellent. Peter watched him in awe.

The sunlight was dazzling on the smooth surface of the lake, girls were sitting on the shoreline with shoes and socks off, cooling their feet in the water. Sirius stared around at the students milling over the grass, rather haughty and bored. Though he spotted one of the girls wearing a Bowie t-shirt, specifically The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust which was Remus' favorite album. Getting all excited, he turned to the trunk where Remus usually leaned against, book in his hands, but paused mid-way, remembering that there was no one there.

His excitement withered, smile thawing. Would days always be like this, so dull, drained of colour? Sirius laid down, closing his eyes, the grass tickling his ears. James was still playing with the Snitch, letting it zoom farther and farther away, almost escaping but always grabbed at the last second. Peter was watching him with his mouth open, gasping and applauding every time he made a particularly difficult catch.

It was cute, at first, but grew incessant, annoying, the quick buzzing of the Snitch's wings, Peter's obnoxious praising. Sirius found his patience thinning ever since things had gone sour with Remus. "Put that away, will you?" he said, finally, as James made a fine catch and Peter let out a cheer. He rolled his eyes. "Before Wormtail wets himself from excitement."

The blonde boy turned slightly pink but James grinned, unfazed by his temper. "If it bothers you," he sighed, stuffing the Snitch back in his pocket.

"I'm bored," Sirius huffed, tucking his arms under his head for a pillow.

"Course you are, Remus makes up most of the entertainment," Peter brought up, impromptu, but quickly sealed his lips and bashed away. Bringing up Moony always stirred the pot.

"Oh, bloody hell!" James said loudly, shooting up, making the others turn. "You have some nerve showing up here."

Sirius' head turned, then became very still. Severus emerged from the shadows of the bushes and set off across the grass, towards them. Peter remained sitting, glancing from James to Snape to Sirius with a look of avid anticipation on his face. Sirius stayed put as well, unable to look Snape in the eye. As surprising as it might sound, he felt bad. He'd selfishly sent the boy to be killed without realizing it until it was almost too late.

"I wasn't the psycho who sent me to get clawed by the bloody eyes, now was I?" he sneered, glowering at James but speaking to Sirius.

"Leave," James demanded, standing in front of his friends, pulling out his wand.