x

I follow him into a dark cavern in the middle of the woods. I am weak and unguarded at this time in the night so I have no reasoning why I made this choice. Although I seem to trust him enough to have him lead me here there is something in the back of my mind pushing itself into clouded thoughts. I shake my head, wanting to focus on what he was saying. He holds out a small daisy and offers it to me. I accept and bring the flower to my nose. A sweet scent blossoms throughout my nostrils.
"Count the petals off"
I smile, understanding what he is saying.
"He loves me"
I pick off a petal.
"He loves me not"
I toss a different petal to the ground.
This goes on until I reach the last two petals.
"He loves me"
I tear off another petal.
"He loves me..not"
The last petal floats down. As soon as it makes contact with the ground, the daisy begins to wilt. The innocent flower turns black and shrivels to a weed. I glance up at him but he is not as I recall. His mesmerizing green eyes are red and filled with hatred. The size of him has doubled in the seconds I watch him. Large hands wrap around my throat and nails scratch at my neck.
"You brought this upon yourself"
The creature is reminding me of every wrong thing I have ever done and taunts me with hurtful words. As the grip in his hands tighten I start seeing white lights appearing in my vision. I am not going to last long. But then he dissolves into a fine dust surrounding the wilted flower petals. A storm echoes in the distance, threatening all to return home. I am yet again left alone and lost. Although I should be disturbed and terrified I am left at peace. The feeling of being alone doesn't haunt me anymore, I am now numb to this kind of beating. I have learned that love and lust only bring you down to hell and haunt you for the rest of your life.
.
.
.
.
-Kate