Epilogue

Five years later

"Charlie Fairbanks."

Applause.

"Katherine Fenderson." I took my cue and walked on to the stage where our principle was waiting with my diploma.

I honestly never thought I would make it. All the screams and applause meant nothing to me.

I looked up and saw my family clapping as I walked back to my seat. Liam still hasn't shaved his beard. He's about to start his senior year of college. He's studing journalism, which I think is ironic, but it makes him happy.

Courtney was next to him. She had recently dyed the tips of her hair purple, I think it looks amazing, she just finished her sophomore year of college, her boyfriend Caleb was on her other side. They have happily dating since the end of freshman year, he's from a town about an hour south of us.

I sat back down in my seat and listened as they continued calling of names.

On the other side of Liam sat my younger, and dashingly good looking brother, Zac. He just finished his own freshman year of high school. He's tall and thin. He's made some good friends and he's on the swimming and tennis team, I'm super proud of him.

Next to Zac is mom. Mom got back on her feet, she started working more and she started having family nights and she's recovered, except she's freaking out that I'll be going to college in Iowa. She doesn't like it one bit.

I looked at my father. His beard was starting to turn grey, mom wanted him to shave so badly before today.

I looked down at the diploma in my lap and sighed.

I eventually told and showed my dad all the documents, pictures, and papers. He couldn't believe it. I never showed him the letter, that's my personal letter.

Dad was a little speechless, while my mom was stunned, believe me, I was too.

After all these years, it was just her way of caring for her biological niece. It's bizarre and Wierd. Dad couldn't believe Bethany was his sister.

I'm in a messed up family. It's a good thing some of my family members are normal.

I jumped back into reality when the band began to play our school song.

"And." The principle started, "These 205 students are your 2016 graduating class."

The auditorium erupted with applause and cheering. I looked three rows back and saw Barret smiling at me.

We were dismissed and I made my way over to my boyfriend.

I'm still getting used to saying that.

Freshman year of high school, he asked me to homecoming. I was reluctant but he was sweet and charming. And when I asked him to spree in January, our little something erupted.

Liam was totally against it, but he's always known that Barret liked me, apparently he and Courtney had a bet.

I have great siblings, don't I?

"Hey Katie." Barret said as he pulled me close. I let my lips meet his and I still get butterflies in my stomach, even after three years.

We walked hand in hand out of the aud and met our families. Courtney was the first to pull me into a hug, "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks Courtney."

Liam took his turn next and lifted me into the air. "Great job Katie."

Zac came over and we fist bumped, which made me laugh and I pulled my brother into a hug, even though he's taller than I am.

"I love you Zacky Poo."

"Stop it Katie." He whined.

~~~

"Tacos? You picked tacos?" Barret asked as we walked into my house.

"I wanted tacos."

We all met in the kitchen and I was so close to grabbing a shell when my mom started to talk, "Katie." she scoulded. I pulled my hand back and put it behind my back.

"Anyway, I wanted to make a toast." Grandma and Grandpa were in the kitchen as well as Seth and his and Barret's dad with his new wife. And my whole family, including Sadie, the cockapoo I convinced dad to get for my sixteenth birthday.

"We have never had it easy. Liam was a trouble child, Courtney liked to color on the walls, Katie was a loud mouth and Zac was pooping and crying nonstop."

"Thanks mom." Zac rolled his eyes.

She smiled at him, "It wasn't until Katie was taken, that I realized how grateful I actually was to have four perfectly healthy children. We were loosing Katherine, day by day. But we gained so much more. We gained an independent young women, who had her childhood taken from her." I snifled, trying to keep the tears in, Barret was rubbing circles on my back.

Mom wiped her eyes, "We gained Katie. And I could never be happier or prouder that my baby girl came home." I let go of Barret's reach and walked over to my mom and pulled her into a hug.

"I love you Katie."

"I love you too mom."

"Now let's eat."

~~~

"Did I tell you that you looked beautiful?" Barret said from behind me.

I spun to see him climbing out my window and he walked toward me on out little balcony that's above the three season porch.

"You did. Thank you." I turned and put my hands on the rails. The wind was calming.

"What's up?" He asked. We were now shoulder to shoulder.

"It's been a good day."

He smiled, 'We're officially free."

"Till September." I added. "Then I go to college an hour away while you go thirty minutes away.

He laughed, "Way to ruin it Katie."

I glanced out at the street. Nobody has to worry about Jim lurking the streets or Bethany showing up, believe me, I know, she and Cayden are up in Alaska. I know that I'll be safe.

I nudged his shoulder.

"What?" Barret asked.

"I just realized something."

"What?"

"Just that I'm home, and i'm never leaving." I leaned forward and kissed Barret.

Barret smiled against my lips and kissed back.

He leaned back and his smile widened, "What took you so long?"  I laughed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

I looked down the rest of my family that was in the backyard.

Courtney and Caleb were dancing. Seth, Liam, Zac, and a friend of Zac's were playing basketball. Mom and Dad were sitting in the hammock, and grandma and grandpa were dancing as well.

The tough. The bad. The assault. The hate. The love. The family. The hope.

They were always there. And now they can all be happy, finally.

This is what perfection looks like, and it feels pretty darn good.