Chapter 1

California the last place I want to be and my dad the last person I want to be with. Since he walked out on my mom and me I have not forgave him. Somehow my mom the one who was put through the most by raising a four year old daughter by herself forgave him but he want trick me that easily. Now when I am seventeen my dad finally wants to take a interest in me by convincing my mom make me come visit him at his beach house in California . I am not nervous even though I haven't seen him in thirteen years. I just have to get through a million awkward days and then I get to come home to my mom and me's little two room apartment that is only big enough for the two of us. The airplane speakers come on and a female talking said, "I hope you had a good flight. We are now landing in Cambria, California. "This is just the beginning" I said under my breath. I grabbed my backpack the only thing I could bring on the plane and started for the airport lobby. I know what my dad looks like I thought looking around. He probably looks older then he was fourteen years ago. Maybe he forgot and I can just book a flight back to Washington. I walked over to the luggage claim and grabbed my one black suitcase and still no sight of dad I sat down. I don't eaves drop poetically I just like listening to things around me. I listen to my left and hear a pretty boring conversation between two guys talking about surfing so I listen to my left. This is an ok conversation between two girls talking about this huge bonfire happening this summer in the same town my dad lives in. I was so zoned into listening to the two girl's conversation I jumped when someone put their hand on my shoulder.

"Samantha"

I looked back to see a man in his late forties standing there.

"Hi Dad"

 I said getting up.

"Was your flight good" he said taking my one suitcase.

This is a great conversation starter Dad, I thought as we walked out of the airport. You think after fourteen years he would have thought up something better to say but instead of venting my thoughts I shrugged.

"It was fine"

I guess I could try and make a better conversation but hey I am not the one who never wanted to take an interest in me until now.

"Good"

He said looking straight ahead.

In the back of my head I wondered what kind of car my dad drove. Back home I drove a small black Honda accord. I wasn't like the other girls at my school. I didn't drive around sporty pink cars or be the most dramatic girl in school. Most of all I didn't flirt or hang on ever cute guy in sight. When we walked up to a sliver Buick Lacrosse. I was impressed and a little surprised. When we got in the car my dad was looking at me because I was looking around with my mouth open.

"What's wrong?"

He said still looking at my weirdly.

"I love it"

I said.

He smiled at me and backed up. Maybe this won't be a horrible summer after all. I pushed that out of my mind.

Moonstone Beach one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. I can't believe my dad owns a cabin on this beach. The view is so amazing. I could gaze out into the water forever and never want to stop. In my head I was almost in the slimmest thought wanted to stay here but in a second that thought was gone and I remember all the things my dad has done to us. We pulled up to a small one story cabin. It was white with blue trim. It had a rap around deck that if you stepped off of it you would be on the beach, inches away from the sand. I grabbed my backpack and we walked into the house.