six

i know this is an extremely early update BUT i got a request from martina to post it early and i start work at my usual posting time SO here we are🥰

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: swearing, mentions of guns, trauma, cheating
word count: 3545

Emily: "We are made of all those who have built and broken us." Atticus Poetry.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Emily glanced up at the doorway to see JJ standing there with a small smile on her face. The raven-haired woman immediately stopped her notes and got out of her seat.

"JJ," Emily said excitedly. The two women embraced in a tight hug. Emily had missed having JJ around the BAU for these past couple of weeks. And while JJ missed work and the rest of her team members, she missed Emily the most. JJ was trying not to freak out when she felt Emily's mouth so close to her ear. "I'm so glad you're back."

The slight whispered tone nearly made JJ weak to her knees as she pulled away abruptly. Emily raised an eyebrow as she did and just placed her hands by her sides.

"It's good to be back," JJ said and smiled shyly at her boss. Emily nodded her head in agreement before snapping out of the best friend manner and into her boss mode.

"Have a seat. You and I have a lot to talk about," Emily said and gestured to the chair across her desk. JJ was nervous as Emily sat down in her chair. The raven-haired woman looked so powerful with her shoulders back and hands locked in front of her. Emily was a natural when it came to positions of power. "How have you been?"

"Anxious to get back to work. You know me, Em. I can never stay away too long," JJ said and swallowed harshly to keep her cool. "I hope there's no problem with my return. I brought the donuts just like we talked about yesterday."

"No, it's not a problem. It's just a concern. The directors felt as though, you're rushing into your work. The BAU doesn't have the best representation of taking care of ourselves after a traumatic event happens," Emily said and shrugged her shoulders. She was guilty of that as well, as much as she didn't want to admit it. "And they want you and Spencer both to be an example for the rest of us."

"They're sending me to therapy? As in, I'm ordered to go to therapy," JJ asked and furrowed her eyebrows. "That's never been a requirement before. It was only for Unit Chiefs to make sure they weren't putting the entire team at risk."

"I know. Things have changed. They put me in charge of documenting your's and Spencer's behavior during the cases. I asked Matt to look after Spencer when we're at the hotels," Emily said and sighed softly. Her hand came up and smoothed out her bangs. It was a newly developing habit she did when she felt nervous. "I'm sorry, JJ. It was either this one hour three month method, or you both wouldn't be allowed to work for a month straight and attend your sessions for three hours per day. And, frankly, I'm still worried about the both of you."

Emily couldn't help it and leaned forward, reaching her hand out for JJ. She knew the blonde woman never liked to be forced to do anything. However, Emily would rather have JJ's well-being be a priority than be dismissed.

"I'm fine, Emily. Why wouldn't you believe that?" JJ asked and furrowed her eyebrows as she leaned forward. She couldn't help but just stare at Emily's hand. It was so tempting.

"You had a gun to your head and you're telling me that didn't faze you?" Emily said and ducked her head down to get JJ's attention. "Something is obviously wrong, JJ. If you can't tell me right now, I'd rather you see somebody for it."