three-annie

I arrive at a bar downtown, the red dress hayden suggested clinging to the top of my thighs desperately as a late breeze blows through new york. The dress was shorter than i recalled, but hey, dates are dates.
I met Leo at school actually, we both study completely different things but we wound up in the same coffee shop a few times before he asked me out. I met him a few more times before this, in less of a date way and more of a friends way before he asked specifically for a date. I clearly had been missing the memo earlier.
I push the glass bar door open, instantly regretting my outfit choice. The bar is not a typical New York bar. Lights hand from the cellini gate, bringing lights to the red leather seats and black marble tables. At every seat, there's a suit and tie to be seen, accompanied with exquisite jewellery, that probably costs more than my right kidney. I gulp.
Feeling lost, i catch eye contact with just the person i was looking for.
"Annie!" Leo greets, his arms widening as he hops off his seat sat directly in front of the bar. I force a confident smile across my red painted lips.
"Leo" i greet in return, falling into his arms for a quick embrace.
"You look good" he compliments, his eyes lingering down my dress. I pull it further down my thigh. Compliments from men like Leo didn't mean much, they just came off...weird. I don't know that's because i'd rather it come out of someone else's mouth or what, but it just felt weird. I'll blame it on seeing Hayden for now.
I prop myself into the chair beside him.
"So, how have u been?" Leo begins.
Most of the date is what i had expected from a man like leo. He was tall, reaching six foot, with a head full of blonde hair. His blonde hair was slicked back, in a old gentleman's type of way, but he usually just wore it in curtains, and had a pair of blue eyes that seemed to pierce through me.
The man was good looking, but far from humble. For an hour, i heard him drone on about himself, telling stories about his family summers on yachts and the occasional frat party story. I wasn't really impressed, but i couldn't let him see that.
While i listen to the fifth story of Leo blacking out, a figure catches my eye, a broad one making their way sharply through the bar. I can't see their way but i know who it is. I know those brown curls anywhere.
Coincidentally, or on purpose, i'm unsure yet, Hayden slips into the seat beside us. His sharp jaw line and hazel eyes avoiding my glare, offering the bar tender a devilish smirk. He knows i can see him.
"Are you okay?" Leo questions, pulling my eyes off of Hayden. I force a smile.
"Yeah, i was just listening"
Leo continues and i see Hayden struggling to avoid my presence. If he's going to try and ruin my date, i may as well get a kick out of it.
Leo tells me something not even remotely funny, but i laugh, my hand falling on top of his. I watch his eyes examine my hand placement, Hayden's attention now trailing across to us.
"You look stunning tonight" He flatters me. I play dumb, forcing a shy smile to my lips. He pushes a strand of hair behind my ear and i glance across at my favourite ex. His jaw, is clenched and i can imagine his fists are too.
"What do you say to some shots?"
Leo's face lights up and we order some tequila shots that arrive almost instantly, accompanied with salt and lime. A devious idea surfaces.
I pick up the small glass container with salt, sticking my finger in and smearing a line of it down my neck. Leo's eyes are practically popping out of his head, and Hayden isn't even pretending not to look anymore. I don't know if his intention was to intrude tonight, but either way, i was having fun.
Leo followed my lead, leaving a line of salt down his neck. We take shots on three, meeting each other's necks with our tongues and tracing them all the way back up to our ears before enduring the limes.
"I'm gonna head to the toilet quickly, but don't lose this attitude" Leo says, a smile spreading a little too widely across his cheeks. He thinks he's got me wrapped around his finger.
As he disappeared around the corner, a smirk is prevalent across my cheeks, but as i look to Hayden, i notice he's gone. Fun over i think.
"You always liked teasing didn't you" that familiar voice warms my neck, whispering in my ear lowly. His lips hover, daring to kiss where Leo's tongue had previously been only moments before. I want him to, but he doesn't.
"I'll let you continue to tease him, but i'm not about to sit and watch" his voice almost warns, and he's gone again.