Chapter 1 - Sandhya

*************************************************************************************************

Authors Note:

Hi Friends,

I am republishing some chapters of "The Independent Girl" here. If you are interested in getting a free copy to review in return for providing my story a  review rating, you can download it here.

https://www.instafreebie.com/free/qtZcs

"The Independent Girl" will be released on June 20th, 2016. Thank you!

Sneha

**************************************************************************************************

BACKGROUND

This story is set in India and the names of the characters are Indian. Sandhya means "Evening" and Akash means "Sky".

Here are some important aspects of Indian culture:

Most Indians are conservative (compared to western culture) and intimacy before marriage is strongly discouraged. A girl child, especially among rural and poor populations, is usually deprived of education. College students are generally fully supported financially by their parents. It is very rare for a student to work in order to sustain his or her studies. Most marriages in India are arranged.

S

andhya gazed out of the bus window, admiring the passing fields colored by the hues of the setting sun. She loved sunsets, with the sky painted in a multitude of colors as the world slowly stepped into darkness. Letting out a deep, satisfying breath, she smiled, absorbing the fact that she had crossed a major milestone in her life. She had completed her degree in business administration and landed a permanent job offer. Soon, she wouldn't have to worry about how to survive the next month; she wouldn't have to live in a house where she would be a burden. Finally, she would be independent. A sense of excitement engulfed her. She felt ready, eager to prove her mettle to this world, to stand on her own feet.

She observed her surroundings, wondering at the contrast in this life to that of fast-paced Mumbai. Most of the people surrounding her were poor, yet they seemed happy—not content, but happy, as in, they seemed to be filled with hope and aspirations. She noticed the young, frail woman in a worn-out cotton sari, clutching her baby with utmost care and love; the two old men chattering away about the pathetic state of Indian politics; the young man who was sneaking shy glances at her; the girl, thirteen or fourteen years old, listening politely to her father as he lectured her.

Sandhya's eyes rested on the father and daughter. Her heart skipped a beat and a nostalgic feeling engulfed her. Swallowing hard, she resumed staring at the sunset. Her papa would have been proud of her. He would have run around the neighborhood, distributing sweets and announcing her achievement to everyone. Her papa...he used to be such a warm person with a bit of endearing quirkiness. Sometimes he would be aloof, and sometimes overly social. And how would her uncle have reacted? He would have placed his hand on her head and said, "Well done, my dear." A tear escaped her eye.

She had few memories of her mother, who had passed away when she was seven. With her father, there were ample happy memories, some still fresh in her mind. Lack of money and comfort did little to lessen her blissful days in their two-room rented house in the village where he worked as a clerk. He pampered her in all aspects except for studies, for he believed that her future could be secured by education alone. She was a stubborn kid though, and argued many times about his strictness regarding her studies. Her father's untimely death in an accident, when she was at the tender age of thirteen, left her terrified of not having a home, of being an orphan left on her own. A lot of relatives came to pay their last respects to her father, spoke kindly to her, and left. Except her uncle, who took her to his home in their native village, Amarpur, where he and her father were raised. Her aunt and two cousins welcomed her then.