(11) Kenny

5 years ago...

"VENA!" I turned my head after saying bye to my mom and saw Maggie running at me with lightning speed.

Within a second she hugs me with full force making me gasp loudly after she releases me from her capture.

Maggie went on vacation halfway through the 8th-grade to visit her sick grandma. Her grandmother was one you would call rich to the point she paid people just to manage her finances because she was so expensive. 

Her grandma was a successful 60s child actor and then turned beautiful model in the 70s to 80s. She's had many husbands throughout her life which is why she has so much money. Most of them passed or she "got bored of them". Well after she passed Maggie stayed a little longer in her grandma's huge mansion to help deal with the will and all the other dead family stuff. She finally came back just three days before our first day of high school.

"So how was it?" I asked waiting for her to say she got like a million dollars from her grandma.

"I honestly don't know but I do know that once I turn 18 I get some money but that's what the will said I guess. I'm so done talking about it, I love her but she was a lot even after her death."

She blew her breath to emphasize the exhaustion. She looked behind me and saw Zack walking over to us.

Maggie had definitely grown up a bit since the beginning of 8th grade. Her hips were a bit wider and her baby fat thinned a bit she had gotten her braces off and darkened her hair for the first time.

"Hey Maggie. We missed you!" He went to hug her which she always used to push him away stating she didn't want his disgusting cooties. This time she embraced his hug putting her head on his shoulder for a split second.

Weird, that's never happened.

"Okay well I'm going to start heading to my first class Maggie don't we share that together?" I look to see her smile at Zack then turning to me, she looked as if she was imagining something in her mind.

"Hmm... oh-yea! Coming." She ran up to me and said bye to Zack as he went to probably go meet his friends.

I look at her questioning why she all of a sudden is so sweet to Zack. I mean one time he knew Maggie has an extreme phobia of toads so as a "joke" he caught one and put it in her backpack. When she went to grab something from her bag the toad jumped on her arm. She didn't visit my house for a whole month because she was so traumatized by the incident. Zack never apologized and he still laughs about it.

That has always been Maggie and Zacks relationship never once have they looked at each other the way they did. It was just so... weird.

"What is there something on my face?" She looked at me worried. I was so focused on my thoughts I forgot I was staring at her.

"Oh, nothing. Let's just get to class before the bell rings." I smile and continue walking into the building.

꘏ ꘏ ꘏ ꘏

"Okay class, this is English 1 and I am Mrs. Berton. If you see on the desk I have numbers on all of them going from 1 to 26. Now as I call each name it will coordinate with 1 to 26. For example Kenny Aatan you are number 1. Understand class?" there were a few nods and yes's from the students.

"Understand Class?" This time she raised her voice slightly making sure all students were listening.

"Yes." Almost everyone said and for any others, they nodded. She smiled back but it look more as if she was trying to strain her face.