VI

Ei was chit chatting with her friends under a sakura tree, their sakura tree.

this time, Sasayuri had to bring the food, as he lost a bet to Chiyo last time they met. he brought Odango and sweet Mochi for everyone, and now they were all eating together, chatting happily.

« so, Ei. how is it going ? how does it feel to command Inazuma ?! » said Kitsune Saiguu, with her usual enthusiasm. « yeah, tell us all about it. you've been so busy recently ... is it because you're the Oh so Honorable Archon ??!» added Chiyo, in a playful tone. « Chiyo ! » Kitsune Saiguu glanced at her, raising an eyebrow with a serious expression. the black haired woman giggled, to then burst out into a big laughter, making everyone imitate her.

that day, the atmosphere was a bit tense.

Sasayuri died in a civil war, while executing his duty of serving the archon, while commanding the army against the great serpent Orobashi of Watatsumi Island.

no one brought sweets, that day. it all seemed so weird, eating together without him.

« guys ... i-i mean, girls ... » Chiyo stuttered a bit, awkwardly. she usually was the happiest and the overjoyed girl of the group, and as she was aware of being the funny, careless friend, she tried to cheer up her friends.

« Ei, have you brought Yae with you today ??? i want to see her ! » Chiyo got up from her spot, getting closer to Ei and checking if she brought the pink kitsune with her.

« aww !! she's so cute !! » she found Yae lying under the long sleeves of Ei's kimono, and then took the little one in her arms, petting her head sweetly. « Saiguu, come pet Yae !! she's so soft ... » she glanced over at Ei, looking at her hopefully « can you like, give me Yae so that i can use her as a pillow ? » Ei looked at Chiyo in surprise, and then giggled. « you could try, but i don't think Yae would let you ... »

hearing those words, Yae stretched her whole little body in the arms of Chiyo and then jumped out of there, returning to her original spot and looking at Chiyo sticking her tongue out.

« see, Yae became like this because she saw Saiguu acting like that. » « hey ! that's not true. i don't behave like that » « are you really sure about it ? » Ei added, supporting Chiyo and looking at Kitsune Saiguu in a joke-ish way.

« not you too, Ei ! » the white haired woman looked at both of them, sighing.

the other two laughed, and so did Kitsune Saiguu, in the end.

« it's so dark ... »
« ... yeah. »
Chiyo was dead. she was swallowed by a monster, turning evil and rebelling against the archon. Ei had to kill her, since that was her job. every threat must be eliminated.

« i don't even know what to say, at this point ... » Kitsune Saiguu looked down, not having the courage to look at her friend in the face. she knew that all she would've seen was simple devastation and pure sadness.

Ei was petting Yae. she hugged her, careful not to hurt her, and then let a single tear shed down her cheek.

Kitsune Saiguu lifted herself from her lying position and sat side by side with Ei, putting one arm around her shoulders and trying to confort her.

« i appreciate this effort of comfort, Saiguu. but there's no need for that, i still got you and Yae. i'm sure from now on things can just get better. » Ei turned her head to look at her friend in the eyes and smiled.

Kitsune Saiguu died, shortly after Chiyo. she was consumed by the dark will.

she lost everything. what happened? how did everything happen so fast ?

she went back to that sakura tree for the last time, letting her tears fall freely. she cried, and cried, and cried. she lost everything, had nothing.

where was Yae ?
she disappeared.
when did that happen ?
Ei doesn't want to die. she doesn't want to end up like her twin and Sasayuri.
Ei doesn't want to become evil like her friends did.
Ei doesn't want to change.
she wishes to stay the same, forever. she wants to avoid her people to go through the same suffering she had to go through.

how ?
she thought helplessly.
then, she realized she could try and reach 'eternity'. maybe this wasn't something her sister wanted to happen. maybe everyone was against her, but she had to reach that goal. she never wanted things to change again, and who were other people to rebel against her anyways ? she was the only one who was able to save Inazuma, she thought.

the plane of euthymia was dark.
Ei couldn't see very well.
"did i let my memories get ahead of me again ?" Ei sighed, then went back to her meditation.

« stop. »

Ei opened her eyes and turned around.
no one was there, of course.
especially a dead person.

but she could swear she heard Makoto's voice.

"concentrate. no distractions allowed."