Chapter 14 - Struggles and Dreams

The walk home was awkward.

The whole time, Yamaguchi kept glancing at Tsukishima, then looking away when he realized Tsukishima was already looking at him.

"Hey."

Yamaguchi looked over quickly, "Hey..?"

Tsukishima looked at the sky, "How was your day today?"

Yamaguchi smiled, this was a habit of Tsukishima's. If they got into a small argument, or if Yamaguchi wasn't talking to him but clearly wanted to, Tsukishima would start making small talk to get him to start talking. It was something he had always done.

"It's been..." Yamaguchi hesitated, searching for a word. "It's been long. You?"

"Tiring. Practice this morning was rough," Tsukishima replied.

Yamaguchi shook his head, smiling. Morning practice was the last time they spoke. Tsukishima was getting straight to the point.

Yamaguchi decided to tease him a bit, "Oh? And why was that?" He asked innocently.

Tsukishima scoffed, "Someone left suddenly and wouldn't speak to me."

"Hm, wonder why? Perhaps they were upset over something?" Yamaguchi suggested.

Tsukishima nodded, "Clearly. I told them I wouldn't pry into it, and they told me they couldn't tell me. Which is fine, of course, but I'm just wondering why they wouldn't speak with me."

Yamaguchi looked down as he walked, "Maybe they were scared you'd be angry with them for not telling you?"

Tsukishima looked at him quickly as he stopped walking. Yamaguchi stopped and turned his body towards him, but stayed looking down.

Tsukshima gently lifted Yamaguchi's head up, "Is that really how you feel?"

Yamaguchi met Tsukishima's eyes, feeling his face heat up. He can feel your face getting warm too. He knows. He hates you.

"Tadashi?"

Don't let him figure it out!

Yamaguchi shoved Tsukishima back, surprising both of them. "I-"

Tsukishima seemed confused. He stepped forward, reaching out a hand to put on Yamaguchi's shoulder.

Yamaguchi swatted his hand away, "Don't touch me!"

Tsukishima stepped back a few steps, shoving his hands into his pockets, "I'm sorry."

Yamaguchi felt guilt flood through him, "No, I-"

Tsukishima smiled softly, avoiding looking directly at Yamaguchi, "It's fine, I should have asked. We're at your house now anyway so I'll, uh, text you when I get home." He started walking backwards, "Goodnight, Tadashi."

Yamaguchi reached out a hand as Tsukishima turned around. He watched as he grew further away. 

Why am I like this?

-------

"Hey, Kageyama," Hinata whispered to the setter.

Kageyama looked down at him, "What?"

"They're acting weird again aren't they?" Hinata said watching Yamaguchi and Tsukishima, who were on opposite sides of the court during the break.

Kageyama nodded, "But this time is different. Yamaguchi was ignoring Tsukishima last time, but this time they both keep looking at eachother and looking away again." He sighed, "I won't say anything, but when their playing starts suffering-"