Chapter 1

"That's right, Your Highness. If you do it this way..." A teacher was explaining a series of formulas to his student in the study room.

"This is sooooo boooooring, Qwentine." Ayna grumbled. Her hand had stopped writing. She pulled her hair in frustration. "I am tired. I don't want to do this anymore."

She got up from her seat and went to the door.

"Wait, Your Highness!!" Qwentine begged. Ayna ignored him. Suddenly the door was opened from the other side.

"Where do you think you are going, Princess Ayna?" A low cunning voice stopped her from leaving.

"Move, Jyaga." Ayna demanded.

The Captain of Remblan Royal Knights did not move an inch. Both his hands were on his hips. His eyes looked at the royal princess menacingly. "The lesson is not over yet."

Ayna pursed her lips. "This is stupid."

"Stupid?" Jyaga curled his eyebrows.

"Yeah, stupid. You can take my place, sit here and learn this boring stuff from Qwentine if you want." Ayna retorted.

"Princess." Jyaga cleared his throat and put on a smile on his handsome face. "You do know that everyone including me passed this test 5 years ago? You are the only one in our year that has not graduated." He tried to suppress the urge to smack her head. And to think that she is the direct descendant of Remblan Royal Family.

Jyaga grabbed her arm and made her sit – facing the stacks of unsolved problems on the table. "You cannot leave until you are done with this – or else, I'll ask my mother to teach you instead."

Ayna shivered at the mention of the former Grand Admiral of Remblan. She lifted her writing tool and started writing with teary eyes. "Jyaga, you meanie..."

"My Lord..." Qwentine who was watching the whole scene tried to ease the situation. "Please don't be angry. Her Highness tried her best..." But Jyaga cut him.

"With all due respect, Mr. Qwentine, you are too lenient with her. She is the Crown Princess. She will one day sit on the throne and govern the country. If she cannot even take this much..." Jyaga stopped himself. He let out a sigh and shook his head.

"I can just find a reliable, smart husband to do it for me." Ayna dropped her head on the paper. She was so done with the lesson.

"Princess!!!" "Your Highness!!" Both Jyaga and Qwentine exclaimed at Ayna's remark. The young royal bit her lower lip. She knew her duty. She was the only child of the current king and her future was already mapped out the moment she was born in the family and set even firmer when her mother died without leaving a sibling. She would one day become the queen of the country. A queen. Not a consort or anything less.

"Your Highness, please don't be pessimistic. I am here to help you. Let's start again, shall we?" Qwentine persuaded.

"I'm tired." Ayna sighed. "I'll come back after tea." She went to the door again.

"Princess!" Jyaga wanted to drag her back but Qwentine stopped him, shaking his head.

"But..."

"It's alright, My Lord." Qwentine smiled.

Jyaga rubbed his tired neck. "I just wish she can be more responsible..."

The royal instructor gazed kindly at the paper left by Ayna. A lot of mistakes, he noticed. "Let's take it slow."

***

Ayna threw herself to the bed in her room. That stupid Jyaga! He dared to threaten me using Lady Fusia! She lay with her back on the bed and lifted her right hand, gazing at the mark printed at the back of her hand. A deep blue double crescent moon hugging a golden full moon in the middle. Remblan royal magi seal. A mark all successors to the throne were born with. A seal of magi power.

This stupid power. Ayna closed her eyes. I don't need it.

***

Qwentine looked at the time and sighed. He got up and started cleaning the table. I guess Her Highness isn't coming back, he thought. As he was tidying up, he heard a knock at the door.

"Hello, Mr. Qwentine." A woman walked into the room. She had the air of superiority around her.

"Lady Fusia..." The professor recognized the retired Grand Admiral. "Ah... about Her Highness' study..." He scratched his head apologetically.

"Please don't worry. I assumed you have done your best." Fusia smiled at him. He blushed. He could not help it. Although she was already in her fifties, her regal poise and sharp blue eyes still stunned every person she met. The Queen of Remblan Sea, they used to call her in the navy.

"I am half responsible for her education too as her carer." Fusia laughed softly.

Qwentine lightly nodded. Indeed, Lady Fusia was trusted to be the princess' carer after the king's wife passed away when the princess was still a child. She was a far cousin of the current king and also his trusted aide.

"I wish she was half as enthusiastic as your son in her study." She let out a sigh.

"Eh?"

"I heard he trumped all the qualifications and passed the tests with flying colors. His Majesty has high hopes for him. You have raised him well."

Qwentine smiled warmly. "I did not do anything. Rishi achieved all that on his own."

"I am sure he will do well as the new Head of Grand Library." Fusia clasped her hands together and smiled.

"Thank you for your kind words, My Lady."