Chapter 44

"For years after the incident, I harbored hatred towards the Tehra clan. They took my family and my home. Everything I had. That nightmare felt worse than dying. I still despise them to this moment and I don't think I'll ever forgive them." Rishi looked up and smiled sadly. "But I'm not seeking revenge or anything. Even if I kill them, my parents won't come back."

"So I thought I should just live peacefully with my new family." He lowered his gaze. "Until that news came."

"That's..."

"The marriage proposal from Solbaru." Rishi nodded. "And suddenly, all the nightmare from the past came back to me. Tana Tehra was planning to do the same thing to Remblan. He was going to put a chain on you, using you and your magi to win wars!" A dark shadow fell on his face.

"I tried to ignore the fact but the more I involved myself with you, the more I could not turn a blind eye on what was going to happen. I don't want to see you go through what I've been through." Rishi was now holding her hands. "The only thing I could do was to remove him, or anyone who tried to stage a war with Remblan."

"But do you really have to..."

Rishi shook his head. "Even if I say I'm going to be the emperor, I'm really just a figurehead. Kuan will be managing everything. I have no interest in running an empire." He laughed. "I'm just here to soothe the tension between the people who no longer trust the Tehra family because deep down, we know Solbaru needs the Tehra to protect them. Without their military influence, the empire won't last long." He smiled. "Kuan will make a good ruler and I'll make sure everyone sees that before I leave."

Rishi stopped. He noticed the troubled look on Ayna's face. "After hearing all this, the sacrifice I made for you, it's still a no?"

She leaned her forehead to his chest and hugged him. "You promise you'll come back?"

"Yeah." He kissed her hair.

"What will you do if I find someone better than you?"

"That person does not exist."

Ayna giggled. "There is Jyaga, you know. Father is very fond of him and I love him dearly."

Rishi flicked her forehead. "Lie better next time."

"Ouch!!" Ayna covered her forehead with both her hands. "What are you doing? I'm serious, okay?! If you don't come back after 2 years, I'll marry Jyaga!!"

The librarian snorted. "As if he wants you. He likes guy."

Ayna's eyes widened. "What... How..."

"Do you think you are the only one who knows about it?" Rishi could not hold his laugh. "How dense can you be... I'm sorry... my stomach hurts..."

"But... we've never told anyone..." Jyaga told her about his preference when he was still a teenager and she swore on her life that she would never tell anyone about it.

"Think about it. A good-looking man coming from a prestigious family with links to the royals. An accomplished knight, appointed as the captain of royal knights in such a young age. A little too hot headed but overall, a faithful and kind-hearted man. Which girl doesn't desire someone like that? To my knowledge, he was never seen with a female partner, even your silly twin maids don't see him as a subject of their romantic interest. Not to mention the two of you who grew up together, I think your relationship never blooms further than childhood friends?"

"That's because Jyaga and I see each other as siblings! He is not a pervert like you!"

Rishi chuckled. "You are right. Whenever I see you, I feel like touching you." He ran his fingers through her lips. His words sent goosebumps to all over her body. She quickly turned her face away in embarrassment.

"Don't try to change the subject! I'm serious! If you don't come back, I..."

Rishi bent his head and kissed her. "I will go back to you. I promise."

"You'd better keep your word!" She pulled him closer and kissed him back.

***

Three days later, Ares finally regained her consciousness. Lord Remwar and his wife who had stayed by her bedside for days, cried in delight.

"I... I am alive..." Ares' gaze shifted from her hands, to her parents, to the maids and then back to her body. There was not a single injury to be found on her body. She was sure the emperor had used his sword on her. "What on earth..."

"Magi saved you, Ares." The father said. He continued to explain how things in Solbaru had changed since that day to his confused daughter.

"Taya will be the new emperor?" She asked. "What... what about Helten? You said he was found guilty? Where is he now? Can I see him?"

Her parents looked at each other.

"What happened?" Ares asked again.

"Ares... you are still in recovery. Let's talk later..." Her mother tried to calm her down.

"Mother!"

Her mother glanced at her husband.

"Helten is exiled."

"What..." A gasp escaped Ares' lips. "Where..."

Her father shook his head. "We don't know. Helten had asked the court to keep the place secret."

"No..."

His father took out an envelope. "This is from him. A letter from the court to notify the annulment of your marriage. You are free now, Ares."

Ares received the letter with trembling hands. The letter was stamped with Helten's royal seal at the bottom. Her marriage with Helten is dissolved... Tear drops wetted the paper." No... this... this isn't what I want ..." She hugged the letter and cried like a lost child.