Chapter 41

Rishi made a small cut on his finger, letting blood coming out of it. He then swiped the engraved writing with his bloody finger and seconds later the same soft blue glow came back to life.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He said to Ayna. He took her hand and placed it on the glowing sword.

After a while, the glow disappeared. He looked at his hand. The small cut he just made had healed completely. It worked... but not on Ayna. The princess did not wake up.

"Damn it!" He threw the sword to the floor in frustration.

"..."

Rishi turned back. Ayna was still lying there motionless but he was sure he just felt a small jerk.

"Ayna?"

There was no response.

"Ayna? Can you hear me?" He felt something warm on his hand. The hand that was resting on top of hers. Rishi slowly raised his hand. "What... is this?"

***

The next day, Kuan received the distressing news in the early morning. His father, the emperor, had committed suicide in his room while waiting for the court's judgement.

"I shall not let anyone punish me! What I'm doing is all for the good of the empire! A strong, united empire!" was his final saying.

"I see." Kuan nodded his head and dismissed the messenger.

The emperor was gone. The crown prince was in no condition to ascend the throne. What Solbaru Empire would turn into?

"Your Highness." Someone knocked at his door. He recognized the voice.

"What do you think?" Lord Remwar and a few other elderly men were sitting across Kuan in his study. Now that the throne of Solbaru was empty, the elders were anxious about the new heir to the throne would be. They had to quickly make a decision on the succession line.

"I heard clans in the north had started to form alliances with each other. If we don't quickly unite them under a new emperor..." A man said with a worried look on his face.

"You should step forward, Your Highness! You are the legitimate successor after all!" Another man said.

"But what about Prince Taya? The throne was originally his!" shouted another.

Kuan frowned. He got up from his seat.

"Where are you going, Your Highness? We need to decide on this matter..."

"We can't decide on anything if Prince Taya himself is not here, can we?" Kuan lowered his head and bid farewell to the gentlemen.

He knocked the door but no one answered.

"Brother. Are you there?" He turned the handle and went in.

He saw Rishi sleeping next to the princess, holding her hand. It must be hard for him. To lose his parents and then his savior and now... Ayna. Kuan was worried about him. He should speak to him soon. They could not leave Ayna's body like that forever. He glanced at Rishi's tired face again. For now, he thought it would be better to let him rest a little longer. He was about to leave the room when he heard a familiar voice calling him from behind.

"Kuan...?"

The prince turned back. He thought he was hallucinating. Ayna was sitting up on the bed, rubbing her eyes with her hand.

"Ay...na?"

"I worried you, didn't I?" She smiled apologetically.

"Ayna!" Kuan rushed to her bedside. "What happened exactly?? We thought..."

"I'm sorry, Kuan."

Kuan shook his head and hugged her. Ayna could feel his body trembling.

"This is not a dream, is it? You are alive!!"

Ayna patted his back. "I am."

"You don't know how I feel when we lost you!!" Kuan cried.

"I'm sorry, Kuan. I'm sorry."

"You can remove your hands now, Kuan." Rishi said while yawning.

"Brother?" Kuan's eyes were still teary.

The librarian sat up and turned to Ayna. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." Ayna scratched her head. "Everything seems fine."

"Can somebody explain to me???" Kuan demanded while pulling his hair.