Chapter 6 (Part 3)

***

Sometime after the sun's rays pierced the holes in the overcast sky after climbing over the horizon, Felt went to get some rations, after which we followed him out of town. Both him and Liliana received strange looks from the many people we passed by. My first thought was that it was because an Ashen was bringing people toward The Lostwood, but I was unfamiliar with the area to really be certain.

It was only a half-hour walk, so in no time at all, the roiling mist that protected The Lostwood came into view. It was visible even from a fair distance away, but the closer we drew, I could tell it wasn't a natural fog. The thick blanket appeared gray from a distance, but slowly turned blacker until you were right on it. It gave off something of an ominous vibe, like entering meant you wouldn't return.

"Not what I expected," I commented as my gaze followed the fog that rolled upwards before me.

One of the oddest parts about it was that there seemed to be no wind and no sound coming from it. It was as though the fog existed behind a window that prevented all sound or senses from passing through.

"It usually is not. Even I did not know this was what it looked like from the outside until I left my home," Felt reached a hand into the roiling stuff casually.

His hand certainly caused a disturbance, as the fog flew around his hand only to fill back in the gap that was just created. When he pulled it back out, none of the mist came with, further resolidifying the idea that The Lostwood is somewhat disconnected from reality, or in a reality of its own.

Shall we enter? Liliana asked, reaching her own hand in to feel out the mist.

"That's what we came here for, isn't it?" I chuckled, shrugging my shoulders.

"As long as the two of you stick close to me, we should be fine. The magic in the charms that Lo'Naeri made should also protect us from most of the creatures around," he said, straightening his fingers and slicing the fog apart, which spread open to reveal an uncomfortable blackness inside.

How do you know? Liliana tilted her head inquisitively.

"I can see the magical auras of creatures and objects. 'Twas part of the abilities granted to me by my Patron," he said, glancing back and nodding his head toward the blackness before us.

Huh. You have never mentioned that before, she remarked, grabbing onto his hand as they passed through the barrier.

I followed close behind so as not to, well, actually get lost. As I entered, the bit of light that filtered through the thick clouds quickly faded. It felt like I was entering a portal to another world almost, but just as quickly as the light faded to pure darkness, it reappeared, but mostly diffused amidst the thick fog.

Even trying to see more than a couple dozen feet ahead proved impossible. Thankfully, Felt and Liliana were right ahead, so their shadowy figures gave me reassurance. I made sure to quickly catch up.

"'Tis because it never came up. Sometimes I forget to mention things that are common to me and not others," he flashed a quick smile in her direction.

"I know the feeling," I laughed as we walked down a rough-hewn path.

There were the vague imprints of footsteps that indicated the path we walked was tread somewhat routinely. I'd always seen it in movies where inside of a thick fog, the creatures of the forest seemed to quiet down before the main character would get attacked or jump scared.

The eerie silence of the woods filled me with a momentary uncomfortableness that a similar thing was going to happen to me. Our boots pressing into the soft dirt of the path were the only sounds that I could clearly distinguish. It was as though the thick mist around us dampened any sound outside of a few dozen feet.