FINN

LEAVES RUSTLED on a plant, which made its home in a cracked street. I stepped down onto the damaged pavement. I lifted my foot and saw the crunched plant on the pavement, where I had stepped. There was a thought in my head.

A thought that I didn't know was possible. I didn't mean to step onto the plant and end its life. But I also didn't feel bad, for nothing prevented my foot from doing such an action.

I looked away from the cracked street. My best friend, Danny, was walking beside me. She noticed that I stopped and halted beside me. She shrugged her shoulders. Danny didn't say anything. And she didn't need to.

The two of us kept walking down the street. We walked down the abandoned street, which was cracked from long before our time. I noticed the plants, which had made the cracks there home. I stepped carefully on the pavement. I didn't want to destroy any more plants.

Looking around, I saw the buildings. The buildings were covered in vines and shrubbery. I tried to envision what the buildings would've looked like before the plants took over. But the glass and metal structures felt so empty, without the plants covering them.

I remembered seeing a picture on a screen when I was in the kitchen. The picture was of a place where buildings of glass reached up to the sky. I wondered what had happened to make this place become a wild forest.

A leaf drifted over the cracked street. I watched as the leaf danged in the breeze. The leaf moved towards the cracked street.

I kept my eyes down to the street as I walked. My hand touched the strap of my backpack. I was worried about someone else following us. A sleeper might have found us. But Danny would've heard them if they were close by.

Walking over a root, I went past a tree. The tree was planted onto the rooftop of one of the nearby buildings. I kept on walking and didn't pay the tree any attention. I had seen such a thing before. And it wasn't surprising to me.

I knew Danny would have preferred to stay home. She wasn't the adventuring kind of person. But she came with me on the trip, anyway. I guess she thought it was fun. Somehow.

"So," I asked Danny, "what do you think they were like?"

Danny kept her head straight ahead on the cracked street. She wasn't amazed by how close everything sounded, or how the birds chirped in the distance. But I was. I had never seen such tall structures before. I mostly kept close to the safe area. And never went into the city.

Taking a step forward, it was like the whole world came to life. And I didn't pay any attention to the sound. I was more surprised by how the broken-down vehicle on the street looked. My heart almost skipped a beat. I was filled with excitement. I had seen a vehicle from ancient times before. And I admired the way that the plants were wrapping around the vehicle. It was like the plant was trying to strangle it. I heard the rumours of vehicles being used to fly in the sky. And with such a tall tower, I guess it was possible. But I never saw them flying in the skyline or the pictures I saw. I wondered if we would be able to see one of them working, soon.

Danny reminded me. "They blew each other up."

I saw a building with a tree coming out of the rooftop. The building looked a little strange to me. Like it wasn't going to hold all of the weight of the tree. And how the roots went wrapping around the inside structure of the building.

Trying to imagine why anyone would want to destroy such a thing, was impossible for me to comprehend. I knew the building didn't seem like much, now. But it might've been a masterpiece before the world erupted into flames.

I'm not sure how much time has passed. It's been a few centuries. That much I know.

And from what I've read, what Danny said was true. The ancients destroyed each other.