ELI

STRAIGHT IN front of me, I saw him. He was a strange teenager. I had never seen him before. His clothes were ripped and worn down. I knew he had been through a lot more than me. I wondered who the boy was. And where he had come from.

Taking a deep breath in, I felt my lungs tightening. I blinked my eyes as I took another deep breath. I opened my eyes up. His eyes were glued onto me. And I wondered if he had ever seen another human before.

I watched the boy turn his head to the side. I felt the restraints on my sneakers, loosening. The metal steam behind my neck vanished. I knew the simulation was over. And I was alive.

Moving my hands away from the side of the pod. I felt like the boy was studying me. Like I was some kind of being, he just came across. I smelt the boy's breath on my face. He was standing too close. It was strange. I wondered if the boy knew who I was. Or if he was some kind of fan.

Then he spoke. "Your shock-wave."

He spoke words like they were foreign to him. I wondered if he had said them before. Or if he was just confused to see me, in person.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Eli."

I knew it was strange to just say my name, with no context. The boy didn't look that confident. But yet, I felt a connection with him. He was staring at someone that had just woken from a simulation. I lifted my hand towards my eyes. I rubbed my eyes with my hand. And I felt like I was asleep for a couple of days.

Looking around at the room of chambers, I felt all of my muscles beginning to tense. I wondered if I should even be moving. Or if I should take a nap, somewhere, for a little while.

I placed my hands onto the side of the chamber. The liquid was lingering on the side, which made it hard to keep my hands on the glass surface. Most of the liquid was gone. And had drained down into the platform below me, similar to how the tub filled up with liquid before my hibernation. I felt a slightly uncomfortable feeling coming from the back of my neck. I remembered how there was a slight sting before the simulation took over my mind. The feeling wasn't unfamiliar to me. I had taken simulations before. And this one was no different.

Sliding my hand down towards the back of my neck, I rubbed the spot with my fingertips. I placed my hand back down to my side. I felt nothing, like the needle never even pinched my skin. And I knew that was a relief. A scare would've been troubling.

Stretching my neck, I moved my head from one side to the other. I remembered the words that the boy said. 'Shock wave'. I had never thought that I would hear my code name, again. I got the code name from when I first used my power. The press were the ones who gave me the title. And shortly after, the world knew me as a 'Shock wave'. But I've never seen myself as anyone special.

I wondered how the boy knew my name.

"So." A female's voice came from behind the boy. "He's not dead." I understood what she was saying, even though she was speaking in a different language. "Just..."

"Um." I squinted my eyes.

The room wasn't overly bright and wasn't too dim. My eyes easily adjusted to the dim lighting. I saw the girl standing behind the boy. She was on the pathway with the light lining the edge. The girl held her head up high with confidence. She held an angry look on her face. And looked like she was differently angry about something.

I wondered if it was something that I did.

The girl searched for the right word to say. "Asleep?"

I lifted my foot from the platform below me. I had to get used to moving again. And the stiffness in my feet told me that I hadn't moved in a while. I felt like my body was stuck in the pod for a couple of years. I wondered how long the liquid was covering my body. With my hand touching over my skin, I felt how smooth it was. I thought back to the last year I saw in the simulation. The year was twenty-one eighty-three. And I knew, one hundred and fifty years had passed.