ELI

THE COMPUTERIZED voice of AVA flowed into my ears. "Yes." She told me. "Zoe is alive."

I wondered. "Her last location."

The world around me felt different. As I leaned away from the chamber, I knew there was safety in numbers. And if I was able to find Zoe. Then I might be able to find the others.

"Located unknown," AVA told me. "Implant offline."

I muttered. "Great."

The implant was built into her skin. And that meant she was probably dead.

I knew the implant was only able to survive if it was inside someone's body. I made sure to make that feature. That way, no one would bother taking it out, to use it for something else. But her implement might have gone dead a long time ago.

"Alright." I glanced over my shoulder. "Thanks."

I raised my fist into the air. I was glad that I would be able to see at least one familiar face, after all this time. Even if I wasn't able to find her, right away. I got comfort from knowing she was somewhere out there.

"So." The girl wondered. "Does that mean that she came here?" She glanced over at the boy, who let out a soft sigh. "For him." She pointed her finger at me. "Or..."

I had no idea why she was so confused. "What?"

"Don't mind her." The boy waved his hands before his chest like he was nervous. "She's a little shocked."

I wondered if the boy was right. Or if he was trying to make some kind of joke.

Thinking for a moment, I remembered I had never asked their names. I was always bad at introducing myself to other people. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. Even after being in the spotlight for so long. I was never used to meeting new people.

"So." I smiled. "What's your name?"

"Um." The boy nervously smiled at me. "Well." He moved his hand towards the back of his neck. "Um."

I wondered why the boy was so tongue-tied. It was like he was nervous talking to me. The look over the girl's face was different. She was more relaxed than the boy. And I wondered if that's because the boy was a fan. Or something.

"His name is Finn." The girl introduced them to me. "And my name's Danny."

Finn waved his hand nervously in the air before him. He held an excited look on his face. And for some reason, I felt like an exhibit at a museum.

I remembered the other girl, who was in the chamber beside mine. She wasn't someone that I was familiar with. And I felt some kind of connection to her. Like she was meant to be someone important to me. But I couldn't place my finger onto it.

"Oh," I said. "AVA."

Her voice chimed down from the rooftop. "Yes."

"Can you tell me the other girl's name?" I pointed at the chamber. "The one who was in that chamber."

"Yes." AVA's computerized voice announced her. "Her name is Zara. Last name unknown." She spoke in a clear voice, like she was previously, trying to be more professional. "She was among the first group of heroes who entered the chambers."

"Oh." I sighed. "That's good."

"She woke up a few months ago," AVA told me what I wanted to know. "She left the hall with Zoe and the others."

I wondered. "Can you track here?"

"Due to some interference." AVA alerted me to her situation. "I'm unable to detect their location."