Vulnerable

It had been a few days ever since the fallout between Malik and Zansi went down. Malik knew things wouldn't automatically go smoothly just because he managed to bring her back in.

There was still tension. Zansi spoke with him only when she had to. She'd only give him side hugs when he was back from work, and when he'd ask.

There weren't any late night conversations, she didn't ask for cuddles and kisses anymore, she was basically giving him the 'space' he asked for.

Malik didn't really budge about it, but deep down, it bugged him. Why was she still getting on his nerves, even when she wasn't?

***

"So I got her back to my place after some convincing and it's been a week now."

He was back for another therapy session.

"How has it been?", his therapist inquires. "Has it been good?"

"Not quite. But it didn't escalate again."

"But I take it things haven't been that well either."

"Exactly.", Malik shrugs. "It's my fault but I'm still mad at her somehow... I don't know why."

"Do you feel perhaps it's because she makes you feel belittled by your actions? Perhaps you feel ashamed?"

"I don't know.", Malik groans. "Sometimes I get stressed from work and I would expect to come back to a woman's touch, or atleast vent out but I don't get that treatment anymore."

"You do know it's understandable why she's still feeling upset, don't you? Perhaps all she needs is a bit more time."

"Maybe. But let's say she does come around, then what? It's just going to be boring good days in bed. Does it get better?"

"It's upto you two to make it better, you can make compromises."

"Compromises, huh...", Malik gives it a thought.

***

"Happy Birthday, baby!!!", a gleeful voice gleams through the house landline.

Cyril was on the phone with his mother.

"Mm thanks mum.", he groans in acknowledgement.

"I can't believe you're twenty. I wish I was over so we can celebrate our mother son wish day. Atleast I'll be coming back but late."

"I'm a bit too old for that now.", he yawns. "Besides, I'm not celebrating. Birthdays are meaningless. Nothing but a reminder that you're one year closer to death."

"Ah Ah!", his mother tsks. "Where are these thoughts coming from, don't be negative! It should be a happy day."

Cyril shuts his eyes, hoping for the phone-call to end. It was draining his energy.

"So I'll be coming back with cake! Yum! What flavor would you like? Do you still like the cookie and cream swirl?"

"Mom, don't mind about all that. I'll just be chilling at home. No cake, no celebrations, please."

"We'll see about that."

By the time she takes off, Cyril sinks right back in bed. It was noon and he had been in bed all day.

After Zansi left him, he fell into a pull of depression. He isolated himself for the time being, spending time in his room the most.

Nothing mattered. His life had been bland eversince his unmentioned childhood friend from Secondary and after Zansi came in with that fragment of joy, ripping it right back out, he fell into a pit.