Family dinner

Chapter 1 - Family Dinner

My name is Georgia, I am 15 years old and I just moved to a small town. To a boring small town. I live with my parents, Ted and Louise, my older sister Clarisse and my grandmother Joanne. Tomorrow I will be starting at a new school, and unlike many kids, I'm not excited at all. You may think I'm not fun because I think negatively about everything, but it's always the same story. For some reason, in my previous school, and in two other schools, the other students used to bother me. Maybe they wanted to feel superior to a girl who didn't know how to defend herself, or maybe they just hated me, or maybe they just wanted to take their problems out on me. I can understand that, but they didn't realize that they were affecting me too.

"Georgia! For the last time, come to the kitchen immediately" Someone shouts from downstairs.

Georgia sighs. "I'm coming mom!" shouts back.

I have to go to dinner, I'll be back. Georgia stops writing in her diary and leaves her room to go downstairs.

"God, what's taking so long? I work hard to feed you but you only let the food get cold." Louise complains

"Alright, alright, sorry mom, I didn't hear you" Georgia responds and starts eating.

"So you start school tomorrow, aren't you excited?" Said Joanne

"Uhh, yeah i guess, it's not that amazing anyway" Georgia responds discouraged.

"I already bought your uniform, keep it presentable for tomorrow and don't even think about "personalizing" it like last time." Said Louise

Georgia releases a soft laugh "Dad, you're taking me to school tomorrow, right?" She asks excitedly.

"Uh... not now Clarisse, I'm busy." Ted responses, distracted by his work.

"I'm Georgia... and you're always busy," she whispers to herself.

"Honey, your dad has a lot of work, your sister is taking you to school tomorrow." Says Louise.

"What?" Clarisse says aloud. "I don't remember telling you that I agreed, in fact I don't even remember you asking me"

"For God's sake, Clarisse, you never do anything in this house and the least I ask is that you take your sister to school, it's not that far away" Louise responds angrily.

And then they kept arguing... You can never have a family dinner without two or more people fighting, that's how life is in this house, everyone says 'I love you' but you don't know if they really mean it. It may sound exaggerated. Many will say that all families love each other and that sometimes there are problems... but if that's the truth, I don't know if our family is like the others.

Changing the subject, I know I said I wasn't excited about tomorrow, but the truth is, I keep biting my nails. I feel that once again everyone is going to laugh at me, they are going to make fun of the way I am and the way I think. I really hope to find friends, at least one. It doesn't matter though, I'm already used to loneliness.

As I said I was in three different schools. In the first two they took me out because they bothered me a lot. They always made me those typical jokes of sticking gum in my hair, making me fall down or calling me names. At the last school I went to, I was expelled. I was told it was for causing serious inconvenience to other students. I don't understand, they did worse things for a whole year and they are still there, pretending to be good, and attacking the innocent when they are not seen.

A soft knock is heard at the door. "Hey" Louise whispers "What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing" Georgia replies as she quickly closes her diary.

"It's time to sleep, you have to wake up very early tomorrow" Louise says

"I don't want to sleep." Georgia responds.

"Mmm... nervous about tomorrow?" Louise asks.

"What? No, absolutely not" Georgia replies.

"I'm your mother, Georgia, I know when something is wrong with you" Louise says.

Georgia stays silent.

"I know what you went through all these years, and I just want to ask you to tell me if something happens, I don't want you to be distracted from your studies" Louise continues. "Well, go to sleep now, tomorrow is an important day" Louise turns off the light and leaves the room.

Georgia turns on her desk light and continues writing.

For a moment I thought my mother was trying to make me feel better, but the truth is that she only cares about my studies and not about my feelings. Anyway, I'll go to sleep, I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but I like the mystery. Good night.