Chapter 1

A tear rolled down my cheek, my last hope slowly falling away from me, before my eyes. Through the window, I saw a single walker, stumbling past the van that I had desperately stowed away in, just hours ago. Muscles tensing with terror, I crawled further under the middle row of seats in the minivan, checking the ammo in small shotgun that was clasped in my hands. I prayed to God that the walker didn't notice me, I wasn't ready to die.

It was dark, raining, I hopelessly limped up the freeway, losing sight of any rational thought, or chance at living any longer. Out of sheer exhaustion, I had piled myself into an abandoned minivan, knowing the risks of staying there well. The doors weren't even locked, a walker could have smelled me at any point, but I couldn't carry on, it wasn't possible.

The smell of death enclosed me, but it was something I had got used to, I had no choice. Everything turned silent, I raised my head a little, so I could see out of the windscreen, the walker was nowhere In sight. Pulling myself out from under the seat, I used all of the strength that I could, to search for some heat, some water. I could only assume that it was the morning, my hair was still an uncomfortable level of damp. Damp from the exceedingly rare rain that poured all through last night. The dye from my fading plaid shirt had imprinted itself on my dirt covered hands, this is what I had become.

I had no protection, except from the few bullets that were left in my gun. There was only one thing left to do. I opened the door, and squinted as the morning sun pierced my eyes. Clasping my leg, I remembered the wound that I had retained last night, running through the abandoned streets. Taking a moment to view the destruction, I stopped for breath, I desperately needed supplies, I was going to die out here.
In the distance, I heard the faint drone of a car engine, and immediately turned my head. Oblivious to the fact that whoever it was could be dangerous, they could be coming to kill me for all I knew, I ran towards the sound. I was constantly alert for walkers, and even though I didn't want to shoot, I'd have to if I couldn't outrun it. As I turned a corner, a green car came into view, it moved slowly, of course, weaving in and out of abandoned vehicles, waiting was excruciating. Slowly, the car drew nearer, and I waved my hand in the air, running as fast as I could towards it.

The car slowly drove to a halt, and two men rushed out, probably assuming I was a walker. One had dark hair, swept over his face, and he held a crossbow, pointed at me. The other however, again had dark hair, however it was slicked back in a fashion that showed the entirety of his face, he had chiselled features, slim like the other man, and stubble outlining his jaw, but he carried a much smaller, and less threatening knife. As they drew nearer with their weapons, I put my hands up, and began to cry.
"She's not a walker." I heard the man with the crossbow tell his friend, however neither dropped their weapons.
"Who are you!" His friend yelled.
"I'm Serena, Serena Brown, all I want is help, I promise!" I cried. The two men still didn't put down their weapons.
"Have you killed anybody before?" The first man asked me.
"Not that wasn't going to turn." I replied.
"Why are you alone?" The second man said, coming closer. I could see his dazzling blue eyes, glinting in the morning sun.
"I was in Atlanta yesterday, it was overrun, and I was the only one that got out."
The two men made eye contact with each other, and lowered their weapons...