Chapter 4

I walked into Maggie's cell, waiting for her to check my leg, and praying to God that it wasn't serious. Not having taken a look at it, I had no idea of the extent of my injuries, for all I knew it could be infected. Anxiously, I shook my leg, and tapped my foot on the floor, desperate to know if I was going to be okay. It was probably nothing, it always was, I didn't notice it when I did it. Light footsteps quickly approached the room, followed by a heavier thumping sound. Maggie entered the room, followed by a much older man, probably her dad.
"Serena, this is my dad. He was a vet, but he's a pretty good doctor too." She introduced him to me, as he leaned to shake my hand.
"Hershel Greene." He smiled.
"Serena Brown." I replied
"So what've we got here?" He asked.
"I'm not sure, I think it's just a cut." I said, adjusting my pants to show him. He soon agreed with me, cleaned the cut, and stitched my skin up.

Hours passed, I lay staring at the ceiling, while I gave my leg time to rest. The peeling paint faded, as time slowly picked away at it, like it did to everybody left on this planet. My honey blonde hair fell around my face, as I twirled one of the loose waves. The silence eventually broke, with the sound of Glenn's voice, in conversation with somebody else.
"Look, Rick, I just don't think it's a smart idea letting her stay here." He whispered, angrily.
"Why not, she seems genuine enough, her shot is outstanding." Rick replied.
"You never do this, she could just be here to murder us and steal our supplies for all we know."
"But she's not, if she was, why would she be wandering around on the freeway?"
"I don't know, she could have got lost!" Glenn began to raise his voice a little now, clearly getting frustrated.I stayed silent.
"Glenn, she's staying. When I talk to her, I know she's okay, she won't hurt anybody that she doesn't have to." Rick tried to assure him.
"And that's what you're going on?"
"Yes, she's staying. You let Merle stay when Daryl wanted him to. And you know full well how dangerous he is."
I heard Glenn sigh, and then the room turned silent.

Softly, I began to cry, not being accepted was something I hated, before the walkers, and now, I just hadn't had to feel it since. Turning over, I tried my best to sleep, the exhaustion was taking over me, and having stitches without anaesthesia was comparable to being wounded all over again. What I needed most was rest, but my body resisted, and all I could do was lay there, as if I was dead, ignoring the faint sound of Glenn telling Rick that he'd be on watch, ignoring the cries of the baby from upstairs. Eventually, however, the noises slowly drifted away as I fell asleep.

Commotion. I woke up what I could only assume was minutes later to screaming, yelling. "Shit!" I heard Daryl shout. I pulled myself out of bed, my leg still dragging me back.
"Get the ammo!" Rick shouted.
"What's wrong?" I said, rubbing my eyes.
"Walkers got in!" Glenn told me...