Chapter 17 - Falling

"Daddy?" The honeyed voice of a seven year old caught Rion's attention.

"Yes my dear?" He answered, eyes glued and scanning through the documents in his hands. His desk was decorated with more papers.

Shuffling in your spot and anxiously bouncing your leg- something you seemed to have picked up on at an early age- you stared at his back for a second or two before raising your soft voice.

"Why am I always kept in the house? Unless we're going to Shoto's house...why am I not allowed outside?"

Rion's eyes came to a halt.

"Dear, how many times have we spoken about this?" He calmly spoke, still sounding as fatherly as he always did, his back still facing towards you. "We do not bring that conversation up."

You ignored what he last said.
Not something you've ever done, not something you've ever dared to do but the curiosity of the lost mind of a young child had the upper hand...and it only took you a minute of being a little pushy child to realise that opening your mouth in the first place was a mistake.

"Why aren't I allowed to go outside? With Niko and Maria and Eren? With you and mom?"

Rion shifted his reading glasses back, focusing more on what's in front of him rather on who's behind him.

Avoiding you.
As he always did when you brought up what he forbids anyone to speak of.

Questions that you had been locking up inside of your little mind for the few years you've been on this earth began to leak- flood from your mouth.

"Why aren't I allowed to go to the...hmm what do they call it, the park!? Yeah, why can't Shoto and I go to the park together?"

"Enough." Rion spoke.

But you kept on going.

"Can I go to school outside? Why do I have to be homeschooled by you?"

"Enough." He said again.

But you ignored his command.

"Why can't I play with Shoto outside of the house? Can we go to the movies too? Together?"

"Enough." His tone grew deep.

But you didn't stop talking.

"I really wanna go to the toy store with Maria! A-and Niko promised to show me his girlfriend soon!"

"Enough." This time more gravely.

But you continued questioning.

"And why can't Eren take me to the arcade? He said it's really fun with lots of colours and cool games! Daddy why can't we all go out together, like a normal family-"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" The slamming down of papers caused you to flinch, along with the sudden raise in his voice.

With his back still facing you, he slammed his fist onto his desk making you wince at his action.

Ire filled actions you've never witnessed from him before. Your once puppy-like eyes that wandered into faint visions of what it could be like outside the walls of your home, doing what normal kids do- those eyes turned stiff.

You trembled in your spot, your small hands clutching to the frame of the door.

He spoke lowly, growling even, but almost as silent as a whisper. "I told you to never speak of that matter...ever."