12. Cat.

Chapter 12: Cat.

Today I am getting a cat.

I know, I know it's kind of a bad look.

You probably think I'm going to be an old cat lady and die alone.

You're not wrong.

With the way my love life has been going, dying alone doesn't seem too far-fetched. I haven't been on a date in two months. It's just been a work-house-parent's house cycle. I'm so tired, the majority of the time. My only friend here is Naya, but she's busy and Ashton has a girlfriend so he'll never want to hang. A little feline will take my mind off my present loneliness for a while.

Putting a quarter in the parking meter, I hop on to the sidewalk and walk through the doors of the pet adoption center.

"Hello, I'm Tiffany. How may I be of service?" A blonde girl asks me. She looks twelve.

"Hi, I'm Valarie. I'm supposed to be meeting Denice here." I tell the girl.

"Denice is my mom. She's in the back." She informs me. "Mom!!!" The girl yells.

"Coming." A woman replies from the back.

"Do you work here?" I ask Tiffany as we wait for her mother's arrival.

"Sometimes. I'm here after school, I help my mum out when she's busy in the back." She tells me and I smile.

"That's so kind of you." I say, smiling at the little girl.

"Miss Stone, sorry to keep you waiting. I was getting Karlie ready." Denice says as she walks out of the back room with a cat cage in her hand.

"She's really in there?" I ask, nervous.

I've never had a pet before.

This is going to be tough, I can already tell.

"Yup, and she's all yours." Denice tells me, handing me the cage. She pulls out some documents from behind the desk and hands me a pen. "Sign here, here and....here." She shows me, flipping the page.

I sign the required places and then give her the paper.

"Go meet your new mommy." Denice tells Karlie as she hands me the cat box.

"Thank you." I tell her and she smiles.

"Enjoy your new best friend." Tiffany tells me before I walk out of the store. I walk to my car and open it, placing Karlie on the passenger seat before I enter the car.

This is going to be fun.

***

"And it's not like I owe him shit." I rant to Adam, eating a potato chip.

"He's always been like this, Vee. I wonder why you still hang around him after all these years. That man is literally deadweight." Adam say, brushing his hair.

"Where are you going tonight?" I ask him, carrying my phone from the chair as I head to the kitchen to get some orange juice.

I place my phone on the island before I take the bottle of orange juice out of the fridge. Grabbing a glass, I fill it and put the bottle back in the fridge.

"Anniversary dinner with Ashley." He tells me and I squeal.

"Oh My God!!! I can't believe it's been four years already?" I ask him , shocked.

"Yeah. Shit's wild." He says, smiling. "I'm thinking of proposing tonight." He tells me, showing me the black box in his hand.

"Adam!!! That's great. You guys are going to make beautiful babies." I tell him.