13. Kick

Chapter 13: Kick.

Zachary's POV

"Where the fuck is she?!!!" I ask my friend Troy who works with the FBI.

"Calm down." He tells me over the phone.

"Don't give me that bullshit. Valarie is missing, for all we know she could be dead." I yell, running my fingers through my hair.

"We're working on it. She's off the radar. We can't find her." Troy says and I almost run my car off the road.

"It's been a week. She could be dead for all we know." I yell, trying to control my emotions.

"Zachary put yourself together. We're gonna find her." Troy says before hanging up.

"Fuck you." I tell him before I throw my phone out the window.

***

I knock on the door three times as I wait.

The door opens and Courtney stares at me and groans.

"What are you doing here?" Courtney whispers, adjusting her silk robe before stepping out of the house, joining me on the cold porch.

"Where is Valarie?" I ask her, folding my arm awaiting her response.

"What? How am I supposed to know?" She fires back.

"Don't act like you don't know she's missing. You've had it out for her since High School." I yell in her face.

She slaps me across the cheek.

"Yes, Valarie and I rarely got along, but I would never hurt her. You really have some nerve insinuating that I did something to her." Courtney says, livid.

"I'm just at a dead end." I say, pausing. Tears well up in my eyes and I find it hard to breathe.

"Zach, are you good?" Courtney asks, staring at me.

"I'm not good. She could be dead, Court. My Valarie could be dead. What am I gonna do?" I ask, sobbing.

Courtney pulls me into a warm hug and I cry on her shoulder while she pats my back.

Her front door opens and I raise my head up to see who it is.

"Hey babe, you never came back to bed." Adam says before he stops dead in his tracks as he stares at me.

I pull away from Courtney and I clear my throat.

I walk to my car, get in and drive away.

***

"Where were you?" Sabrina asks with her arms crossed.

"Where do you think?" I clap back.

"I know you were out looking for that girl." Sabrina tells me, rolling her eyes.

"Don't you fucking talk about her." I yell.

"What's going on Zach? You're different." Sabrina says, yelling.