When do you take a life?

When do you truly take a life?

Is it when you've killed their body?

Or when you've ensured that they have taken their last breath?

Is it when you've destroyed their future?

Or taken away their very hope?

CHAPTER 5:

When do you take a life?

PREVIOUSLY: The head courier prepared himself for the worst—it could be a spy from the Kangs, a servant of the monarchy, or hopefully a plain thief... but what he wasn't ready for as he pulled down the black cloth, was to see the smirking face of Isageum Bae's favourite granddaughter, Joohyun Bae.

"M-my lady..." Wide shocked eyes and raised eyebrows was the expression that greeted Joohyun as her identity was revealed.

The head courier having just had the scare of his life time, immediately fell to his knees, greeting the granddaughter of the Sept's leader with every bit of desperation. But his men and the cave guards who had no idea as to why the head courier was mumbling like a fool, all looked at each other, whilst still having a tight grip on the arms of who they didn't know is the likely future heiress of the Sept.

Looking at the expression of the Bae noble, the head courier immediately took note of the discomfort of being held like a rag-doll. And as fast as he fell to his knees, the head courier leapt up and grabbed the hands of the guards, "Let her go this instant!"

Although prompted to let go of the thief, the guards' confusion and the anxious appearance of the Head Courier, prevented the guards to follow their orders and still held the intruder at bay.

"Listen to me, let her go." The head courier insisted again. His entire being fraught with panic and fear.

"What is this mess?!" The captain of the guards, Moon Hangil, who was the highest-ranking officer assigned to protect the Cave of Ornaments, had just arrived at the scene after hearing that an intruder had been able to enter the cave, much like how the Head Courier did earlier.

In fact, just like the head courier, Captain Moon Hangil immediately recognized the Bae noble. Both their high positions giving them enough importance to at least be introduced to the highest aristocrats of the Sept.

Already pieced together that Bae Joohyun, who was famed for her obsession with Hopae and manipulative nature at the young age of fifteen, as well as her status as the most favoured grandchild of Isageum Bae—was the one who had infiltrated the cave, the captain of the guards felt a bit relieved.

Better a notorious Sept noble than a spy of the monarchy or a Kang warrior.

"Young Lady Bae," The captain took off his head gear and greeted the noble with respect.

The guards, hearing how their captain addressed the intruder, immediately released their hold and kneeled. They as well have heard of the infamous Young Lady Bae who was rumoured to be the pick-successor of their supreme leader. Now the guards themselves were terrified, remembering how they had tackled and manhandled the noble, the guards bowed their heads lower.

Finally regaining control of her limbs, Bae Joohyun ignored the almost whimpering guards kneeling at her feet and directed her attention to the men she knew that her grandfather trusted, for how else could they be trusted with the most important possessions of the Sept. "Captain Moon, Head Courrier Ahn, I am fairly disappointed with the hole-filled security of the vault. I almost got away undetected."

"Almost being the key word, Young lady." Captain Moon replied respectfully yet not falling victim to Bae Joohyun's taunting.

Impressed at the Captain of the Guards, Bae Joohyun hummed before turning her attention to the other man, who again just apologized profusely and appeared ungraceful. The Bae noble tsked, disappointed at the Head Courrier. It appears only one of the two heads possessed a backbone.