Chapter 4: Mildly Impressive

"WALA talaga sa inyo ang nakakakilala kay Ivan Delos Reyes? If that's the case then, we're done here."

The interrogation did not take that long but it was not smooth either. The only one who cooperated fully was Galen and the rest were whiny and annoying.

None of them claimed to know the dead victim and Ingrid could tell that they were not lying. Even though the inspector insisted on a lie detector test, the results only proved that they were telling the truth so he had no choice but to end it early. He called them one last time to gather in the classroom he borrowed so the four seals were sitting in the front row while the inspector stood in front of them.

"You can all go now. But you all still need to be monitored from time to time until we solve this case. The CIG is hoping for your full cooperation so we can bring the suspect to justice." When the inspector saw how sour the seals' faces turned, he ignored them and turned to Ingrid. "Your father will surely be proud of what you did for us today. Too bad he's not here, I always enjoy your tandem."

Archer clicked his tongue loudly and rolled his eyes. He could not accept what he heard and he just wanted to die right there. Ingrid felt his bitterness so she glanced at him quickly before she gave the inspector a genuine smile.

"Nah, I can work on my own, sir." She then gave a salute as a sign of respect, "I'll report to him later but I will conduct my own investigation. Nandito na rin naman na po ako, mas madali akong makakahanap ng lead."

Ingrid made it loud enough for Archer to hear. She was enjoying his hissing sounds that he wanted to just annoy him to death. The inspector was ignorant of what was going on and just smiled at her before he wore his police cap.

"Ipagpatuloy mo lang iyan. Sumunod ka sa yapak ng ama mo't alam kong mas malalampasan mo siya. Sige na't mauuna na ako."

"Sasabay na po ako sa inyo."

The Altrana cousins watched Ingrid walk out with Inspector Charles as they all waited for them to leave before they finally stood from their chairs. Galen remained silent as he thought of a way to quicken the investigation and clear their names, while his cousins started to whine about the interrogation. He knew he had to do something rather than wait, because he had a feeling that there would be another attack.

***

Ingrid kept her word to Charles and immediately started her investigation. She did not waste any time and went to Ivan Delos Reyes' classroom as soon as her teacher left to attend an emergency meeting and as expected, the section was a mess.

Most of them were busy talking to each other, but what caught Ingrid's attention was the group of girls clustered in the center of the room as they comforted this one girl who kept sobbing. Some were rubbing her back, one was brushing her hair, and the rest were just watching with deep concern drawn in their faces.

Naniningkit ang mga mata ni Ingrid na pinanood ang mala-orasyong iyakan ng buong klase mula sa bintana ng mismong classroom dahil wala rin namang nakahalata sa presensya niya nang biglang may tumabi sa kaniya't sumilip din sa loob.

"So that is how you investigate?" Galen whispered that made Ingrid turn her head, "you look through the window?"

Pinaningkitan lamang ni Ingrid ang binata at muling ibinaling ang titig sa loob ng silid para magmasid. Nang mahalata ni Galen kung saan nakapokus ang mata niya ay muling nagsalita ang binata, "According to what I heard, that's Ivan's girlfriend."

Kunot ang noong nilingon muli ni Ingrid si Galen at nagtaka kung bakit kanina pa siya nito sinusubukang kausapin at kung bakit naroon ang kamahalan. Hindi lubos akalain ng dalaga na nilapitan siya ng isa sa mga apo ng konde ng Pilipinas at pilit siyang kinakausap. Sa pagkakatanda niya'y malinaw na sinabi ni Archer na walang pake ang mga seals sa tulad niyang hindi naman tulad nila na may dugong bughaw.