Chapter 14: Role Play

"LOW heat! I said low heat! Don't you understand what low heat means?!"

Red turned to Ingrid and yelled, "Don't yell at me like that! I'm the man of this house!"

Simula pa lang ata sa paghiwa ng sibuyas at bawang ay pinuno na ni Ingrid ng lait ang kaniyang ninong. Ilang beses na siyang napahilamos sa sariling mukha sa sobrang panggigigil dahil hindi talaga siya makapaniwalang sa edad na bente nuebe ay ni paghiwa ng mga sangkap ay hindi pa rin ito marunong.

Ngayon ay hindi naman ito nakikinig sa kaniya na pahinain ang apoy. Kung kanina ay hinahayaan niya lang dahil pinapainit ang kawali, ngayon ay nailagay na ni Red ang mantika kaya't puwede na ring ilagay ang bawang.

"Paanong hindi kita sisigawan eh mahina ka pa sa tinuruan kong Grade 2 na tumingin ng oras!"

Kung alam niya lang na ganoon magluto ang lalaki ay itinapon na niya ang stove at bumili na lamang ng pugon.

Red turned to his niece with his jaw clenching and glared at her like she was an enemy he was told to shoot, "Well that fucking kid didn't have to put his hand on a heated pan to tell that it's 12 o'clock!"

"You don't have to either when you lower the stove fire!" nakapameywang na bulyaw ni Ingrid bilang tugon.

Red immediately went silent before he angrily riched for the stove to finally turn it low before he faced his goddaughter, "Why are you always mean to me?! I'm only trying to be nice to you! What the fuck have I done that I upsets you so much?!"

Ingrid rolled her eyes at him, "Enough with the drama, and just saute the garlic and the onion so you can put the fucking chicken already!"

Ubos na ang pasensya ni Red ngunit hindi niya masuntok sa mukha ang dalaga tulad ng ginawa niya sa ama nito (na kaagad din namang nasalo ni Gregor) kaya't padabog niya na lamang na tinaktak ang chopping board kung nasaan ang tinadtad na bawang at sibuyas sa kawali.

"Why the fuck did you put them all at once?! You should have cooked the garlic first!"

Hindi na pinakinggan ni Red ang saway ng dalaga at patuloy na hinalo ang mga sangkap gamit ang siyansi. Halos mabutas na ang lutuan dahil ibinubuhos na ni Red ang galit sa pagkain bago hinila ang lalagyan ng tinadtad na kalahating kilo ng manok at inilagay na rin sa kawali.

"I came home early because you said you wanted me to teach you how to cook, but you're not even listening to me?!"

Ingrid was tired. Her godfather was a hopeless case. She could not believe why her father left him in charge to look after her. If she didn't know how to cook, she bet she would surely starve to death sooner or later.

Red on the other hand was just silent. He never felt so angry at someone so much that he could already put his fist on the next drywall. He already wanted to burn the house down but rather than looking for gasoline, he took the bottle of soy sauce and poured it on the pan.

"What the fuck?! No! That's enough!"

Napanganga na lamang si Ingrid nang makitang binuhos ni Red ang toyo sa kawali at talagang walang patak na itinira sa bote. Parang panandaliang nawala ang kaniyang utak sa sariling katawang lupa bago nakaawang ang bibig na tiningala ang lalaki na ngayon ay malamig na nakatitig sa kaniya.

"Yes. We're having this shit for dinner."

***

Red realized his stupidity when he finally got a little taste of the supposedly thick sauce of the Adobo which turned out to be so watery.

It was salty as hell, he could already feel stones forming inside his kidneys with just a tiny amount of the sauce. Ingrid on the other hand just took one chicken, and even with only that one piece as she avoided taking the sauce, she could still feel her taste buds cringe in saltiness.