Pilot [2]

Sam, Dean, and Lulu headed downstairs.

Sam had changed into a pair of jeans and a hoodie. "I mean, come on. You can't just...just break in, middle of the night, and expect me to hit the road with you,"

"You're not hearing me, Sammy. Dad's missing. I need you to help me find him," Dean argued.

"You remember the poltergeist in Amherst? Or the Devil's Gates in Clifton? He was missing then, too. He's always missing, and he's always fine,"

Dean stopped and turned around.

Sam stopped too.

"Not for this long," Dean argued. "Now are you gonna come with me or not?"

"I'm not," Sam negated with a shake of his head.

"Why not?"

"I swore I was done with hunting. For good,"

"Come on. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that bad," Dean started downstairs.

Sam followed "Yeah? When I told Dad I was scared of the thing in my closet, he gave me a .45,"

Dean stopped at the door to the outside, where Lulu was scratching to be let out. "Don't be afraid of the dark? Are you kidding me? Of course, you should be afraid of the dark. You know what's out there,"

"Yeah, I know, but still. The way we grew up after Mom was killed, and Dad's obsession to find the thing that killed her,"

Dean glanced outside.

"But we still haven't found the damn thing. So we kill everything we can find,"

"We save a lot of people doing it, too,"

"You think Mom would have wanted this for us?"

Lulu barked as she started scratching at the door again.

Dean sighed as he slammed the door open, the young border collie bolting out the door.

"The weapon training, and melting the silver into bullets?" Sam continued "Man, Dean, we were raised like warriors,"

They crossed the parking lot to the Impala.

"So what are you gonna do? You're just gonna live some normal, apple pie life? Is that it?" Dean wondered.

"No. Not normal. Safe,"

"And that's why you ran away," Dean nodded.

"I was just going to college. It was Dad who said if I was gonna go I should stay gone. And that's what I'm doing,"

"Yeah, well, Dad's in real trouble right now. If he's not dead already. I can feel it,"

Sam was silent.

"I can't do this alone,"

"Yes, you can. And you're not alone." Sam nodded towards Lulu who was already in the back seat of the Impala, sticking her head out the open window, her tongue sticking out happily "Since when did you like dogs?"

Dean chuckled as he patted the top of Lulu's head "Let's just say Lulu's one of a kind,"

Sam couldn't help but smirk a bit as the dog in question licked Dean's cheek. He sighed "What was he hunting?"

Dean opened the trunk of the Impala, then the spare tire compartment.

It was an arsenal in the Impala.

Dean propped the compartment open with a shotgun and dug through the clutter. "All right, let's see, where the hell did I put that thing?"

"So when Dad left, why didn't you go with him?"