Chapter 1

I tell myself that I am beautiful every morning when I look into the mirror before I get ready for school. I say this since no boys ask me to prom or ask me on a date. It is because everyone looks at me like I am a monster or something. I think that they forget that I have feelings too. 

Five years ago to this day, my mother and I were on our way home from picking up groceries and gas for our lawn mower when a drunk driver hit our vehicle head on. I blacked out for most of the accident but the police say after the initial accident, another car crashed into us and made us flip three times before landing on the roof of the car. Due to the gas in the back, our car caught on fire because the engine was still running. When I woke up, I had no idea what was going on. I tried to look around but the paramedic told me not to move because I would be in pain. I wasn't sure what he was talking about until I glanced over to my arm; it was completely burnt from the car accident. I wanted to scream in pain but I physically could not. Then I remembered, my mother.

A police officer came over to me and stated,

"I am so sorry but the driver was dead on impact and the fire incinerated most of the body. What is left is unrecognizable. Can you tell me who the driver was of this vehicle?" 

A single tear came streaming down my face but it hurt to cry. The salt from my tears made my open wounds sting. So I tried to contain my tears but it was too hard.

How could he expect me to talk when my body was completely burnt? How could he ask me to tell him my mother's name when he just told me she died?