Chapter 3

When I woke up in my hospital bed, I could see the red puffy eyes of Dallas, Delanie and my father. They have not noticed that I was awake yet. I could hear a small moan coming from my father. 

I remember my parents wedding. I was the flower girl because Delanie was not born yet. 

My mother was wearing a beautiful white ball gown with beading along the sweetheart neckline. The bridesmaids had maroon knee-length straight dresses while the groomsmen had gray tuxes to contrast the maroon. These where my mother's favorite colors. My dress was a shade of pink. My mother looked gorgeous. Now I started to think about my wedding, my mother will not be there for that. As I started to think about all of the things that my mom would not be there for, my father realized that I was awake. 

"How are you feeling honey?" my father asked me. I could hear a crack in his voice like he had been crying for hours, but honestly, I could not blame him. 

As I open my mouth, words finally came out, 

"Dad, I am in so much pain. Please, make it stop." I was not only talking about physical pain but emotional pain. 

"I know honey. But there is nothing that I can do. They would not let me do anything since you are my daughter." My father is a doctor at the local hospital but he cannot give me anything special. 

"Dad?" I said.

"Yes dear." 

"Is mom dead because of me?" I asked quietly.

"Oh my goodness honey, of course not. You did nothing wrong. The guy who hit you did. The police say he must have been drinking and driving." my father said as he reassured me.

Dallas and Delanie had balloons for me tied at the end of my bed. 

"We are so happy that we did not lose both of you." Delanie said. I wonder how she is taking it; she is only 10 years old.

"Yeah, I am really glad that you are okay." Dallas said, seeming preoccupied by something else. 

"Okay? You think I am okay? I am NEVER going to look the same again. I am going to get made fun of for the rest of my life. I lost my mother. I was in the same car as her when she was dead and I was alive. I am not okay." I screamed at Dallas.

"I lost my mother too you know. She was not just yours.." Dallas screamed back as he started to cry. He left the room because he did not want any of us to see him cry. 

"Dallas, I'm sorry. Come back. DALLAS!" I screamed while he was running away.

"Just let him cool off for a little while. I'll go check on him in a couple minutes." my father said. 

How could I have freaked out on my brother on a day like today? But then again, how could he say I was okay? I am clearly not just 'okay.'