Chapter 5

It was finally the first day of my freshman year in high school. My scars were not completely fixed but it was a lot better. The doctors only could fix my legs a little bit due to the amount of scars. So my arms and face were still scarred. 

I was extremely nervous for my first day. My outfit choice was a short sleeve shirt with a long sleeve sweater to hide most of the scars and a pair of dark jeans with black sandals. I choose to use a darker foundation than normal to hide the scars but after trying three different colors, I could still see the scars so I decided to take it off and go natural. I figured by this, I am embracing the scars a little at a time; I told myself, this is what my mother would want me to do.

I walked up the steps to the front doors of my high school building. I took a deep breath in and opened the doors. I walked to my locker and everyone was so busy that they weren't looking at me. I walked in to my first class and the teacher decided to have all of the students stand up and tell a little but about ourselves so that means that all eyes will be on me when I stood up. 

So when the teacher called my name, I stood up with confidence and said, 

"My name is Darcie Johnston. I am 14 years old. And to silence those thoughts in your head, I was in a car accident about 6 months ago with my mother. The car caught on fire and I got out but my mother passed away in the accident." 

Everyone was silent after I said my little speech. They all looked at each other and then looked at me. The students whispered stuff about me. I knew what they were saying was not good. I heard someone say,

"She looks like Frankenstein." and the other kids laughed, well the ones that heard the 'joke.'

So I grabbed all of my stuff and walked out. I ran to the bathroom so no one would see me. If that is how just one class went, I knew the rest of the day would not be any better. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought 'Well maybe those kids are right. Maybe I do look like Frankenstein.' So with that thought, I just decided to go home. Tomorrow cannot be much better.