Chapter 4

6 months after the accident, with  weekly check ups, my doctor said my skins was healed enough to take off the cast. This would be the first time I saw myself without the body cast on. I was nervous but Delanie, my father and my best friend Serena were all there for support. 

"No, we can get a plastic surgeon to fix your skin to the best of their ability so be optimistic when you see yourself in the mirror." my doctor stated before he turned me around to see myself. 

"Okay. I am ready to see myself." I said but truly I was so nervous to see the damage.

When I saw myself, I started crying because I was a thirteen year old girl who was now covered with burn marks and I have no control over it. 

"Clothes will cover most of the scars on your abdomen and legs but the ones on your neck and on your right cheek will be harder to hide, if that is your wish." my doctor tried to give me a little reassurance. 

"Darcie, you cannot control what you look like, but you can embrace it. Yes, it will take a lot of getting used to but you should walk around with confidence to let people know that it does not bother you." Serena said, trying to my me feel better.

"I know. But how can I be confident while I look like this?" I came back with completely shutting down what Serena said.    

I spent my 14th birthday in the hospital because the doctors had to do a skin biopsy on my arms and legs. I wanted them to hurry up this process because my freshman year of high school starts soon, and no one from school has seen me yet besides Serena. I was not quite sure how I felt about starting high school, looking like this. People are probably going to talk, stare and maybe I will get a few people saying sorry for your loss, or how have you been. I just do not want people to treat me any different than a normal person.