Chapter Nine - Leo - Looking for Liberty

There are times when being a demigod is totally awesome, but most of the time it sucks. This was one of those times for Leo. If he was able to use a cellphone he could easily find his friend no problem. Maybe he could risk it and just hope he doesn't get killed by Spanish monsters.

His friend was usually getting in trouble with authorities so the first place he would look is the police station.

He strolled into the large police station and asked for Liberty Gonzales. Liberty had been his only friend for a while before he found out he was a demigod and he knew she had a long history of being able to find missing people. She also had a long history of having a big mouth that gets her into all sorts of trouble. She moved to Madrid recently and sent Leo a letter to his new address.A gruesome looking police officer looked her up on his computer and shook his head.

The officer spoke in Spanish. "Liberty Gonzales works in American Donuts on 16th street, nice girl, good donuts. You might find her there."

"Thank you, sir." Leo replied in the native language and made his way to 16th street. Right in front of his eyes lies a flashing sign that read 'American Donuts' in English. He couldn't believe it would be that easy to find Liberty. Through the glass he saw a hard working beautiful young Latina woman in a dirty black tank top scrubbing a table while what looked like singing. He couldn't tell because he was on the other side of the glass.

He enter the small donut shop whistling a familiar tune. The girl immediately looked up and straight at him.

"Leo?" She asked skeptically in English.

"The one and only." he said grinning.

Liberty dropped her sponge and ran over to hug him. At last, Leo was taller than her. "How'd you know I was here?"

"Well first I went to the police station-"

"Great," she cut him off with a chuckle. "You come to Madrid and the first place you look for me is jail." She scoffed, which was followed by an awkward laugh. "That's where everyone expects me to be by now."

"Anyway," she started talking again. "I'm so glad you're here! I'll show you around Madrid, there's so much to see!"

"Actually I came here hoping you would drop everything and come help me find my missing friends." Leo said hoping she wouldn't think he was crazy.

"Ha. Yeah sure, just let me tell my boss that I'm just going to hop on your dragon and fly into the sunset too." she said and began scrubbing the table once again.

"I actually do have a dragon..." he mumbled almost silently to himself.

"But seriously, my friends are missing and your help would be very appreciated. But I'm warning you that there is a lot of information you'll have to soak up." He said.

"Yeah sure, Nothing I can't handle. Sure I'll help you Leo. Just let me tell my boss I'll be gone who knows how long. I'm going out in a limb and trusting you because you're my friend." she took her long dark brown hair out of the messy bun she had had it in and let it tumble down her back.

Leo wanted to hug Liberty! Awesome, now he had an experienced people finder to help him find Reyna and Hazel. Soon enough, Liberty came out looking annoyed.

"So I just got fired, but whatever. I can get a job somewhere else. So where are we off to?" She asked holding a small bag and her phone in another.

"My flying warship." Leo took her hand and led her to the Argo II the same way he had came. He wove through many people passing by and Liberty didn't let go of his hand. She said she was afraid she would be separated from him.

"Mierda..." Liberty whispered in Spanish as she climbed aboard the Argo II that floated the Manzanares. "You built this? And how the heck does no one notice this?"

"With the help of a few friends. And the mist covers it so mortals think it's a regular boat." Leo smiled and shrugged although he was incredibly proud of himself. The Argo II is his baby.

"Mist? I have so many questions." Liberty said looking around at her surroundings. Annabeth was staring off of the deck quietly crying. She turned to see Liberty and Leo talking. She wiped her eyes and sniffed. Leo wanted to comfort his friend but if he tried she would probably kick him where the sun doesn't shine and go get Percy. It made sense.

"You must be Leo's friend. Has he explained our situation to you?" Annabeth asked.

"Uh kind of." Liberty said quickly. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Annabeth sniffed. "Let me explain it to you, I'm probably the one who can do it best."

Annabeth explained how the Greek gods are real and active in America and how monsters exist too and the underworld does too. All of that stuff. Leo already knew but he decided to stick around. As Annabeth told her about the war on Gaea and how they were seven demigods of the prophecy and how Leo and Hazel have came back from the dead and how Annabeth and Percy and Nico had fallen into Tartarus. Liberty listened intently. Her expression changed every once and awhile.

"Wow, you guys are so cool." Liberty muttered. "My life is boring in comparison. So how can I help find Hazel and Reyna?"