chapter six

"Now ladies and gents, it's time for the jousting," the announcement rang out. Emma made her way to the event as the announcer explained the rules of the event. Near the sides where people were cheering, Emma found Olivia, and joined her new friend.

"Hey Via, is it okay if I call you Via?" She asked, sliding in next to the brunette.

"Of course, as long as I can call you Em," Olivia replied.

"Well, you've got yourself a deal Via," Emma said, mock shaking Olivia's hand. "So, who are you betting on, Gaby or Mia?" Emma asked.

"Ooh, it's gotta be Gaby, that girl looks ruthless," Olivia said.

"Oh absolutely she is, isn't Mia the same?" Emma wondered.

"I guess so, my bets are still on Gaby though," Olivia said, looking towards the girl in question. Pin handed her her helmet and shield, followed by her jousting stick.

"Bright Fields ready? Holloway ready? Let's joust!" The horn blew and both Mia and Gaby kicked off. It seemed to take forever for them to reach each other, but as soon as they did, Gaby easily hit Mia's shield, violently knocking her down. The crowd erupted in cheers, Emma joining into the applause. Next to her, Olivia was clapping as well, though she seemed worried about Mia.

"Well, looks like you were right," Emma joked, trying to help Olivia lighten up. The girl smiled.

"Well then, pay up Em," the girl joked back. They observed as the girl Emma had been told was named Zoe mounted her beautiful horse Raven and put her helmet on. The bell rang out for the second round, this time Gaby against Zoe. Emma and Olivia anxiously watched as Zoe swerved right to avoid Gaby's blow. As the two girls came back around, a black and white horse suddenly galloped into the arena, blocking the passage.

"Bob?" Emma heard Olivia beside her. Alright, so the horse was named Bob. Chaos erupted all around them, and the next thing Emma knew, Holloway and Bright Fields were running straight at each other.

"What in the hell are they doing?" Muttered Olivia, Emma stifling a laugh.

"Should we go help them?" Emma said.

"Probably," giggled Olivia, though neither of them moved, and simply looked at each other until they burst out laughing. "Alright come on let's go," Olivia finally said, grabbing Emma's wrist and bringing her along to the spot where Bright Fields and Holloway alike were running into each other, not quite knowing what was happening themselves.

After stopping Mia and Gaby from quite literally ripping each other's hair off, Emma turned back to find Olivia, only to see her helping Pin back up, a look in her eyes Emma recognized all too well.

"Enough!" A deep voice bellowed out. "Bright Fields, Holloway follow me," the man said angrily. Emma and Olivia shared a worried glance. They followed their friends to the front, staying back behind them as they lined up,

since they hadn't directly participated in the fighting.

"Never in the history of this competition has there ever been such unbridled violence," the man said once they'd all lined up.

"That's Mia's dad, Elliot," Olivia whispered to Emma, as if guessing she was wondering who he was.

"So... none of you have won," Mia's dad said. "This year, our most long-standing maid will wear the crown for the second time. Ladies and gentlemen, Wilma," Elliot said. Next to Emma, Olivia clapped enthusiastically, smiling brightly. Emma didn't understand how that girl could always be so positive and genuinely happy for everyone, but she definitely admired it. She clapped as well, if not to be polite.

An elderly woman walked forward, Emma assumed her to be Wilma, though when Elliot went to place the crown on her head, she stopped him. She asked him something Emma couldn't quite hear, and Elliot nodded. She turned towards the crowd and spoke clearly.

"I have met a kindhearted young woman today, and I have foreseen that it is she who will wear the crown. So today, I would like to pass on my crown to Olivia Collins," Wilma announced. As if rehearsed, the line in front of them split to reveal Olivia behind them, who wore an expression of shock and confusion.

"That's you, you lump head," Emma laughed, giving Olivia a small push forward. Olivia tentatively walked forward as the crowd clapped once more, Emma genuinely clapping this time. When she reached the front, Wilma placed the crown on Olivia's head as the latter smiled shyly. Emma walked forward to stand next to the rest of her team, who were all clapping somewhat reluctantly save for Pin who wore a radiant smile. Emma rolled her eyes good-naturedly. Olivia was absolutely oblivious if she couldn't tell Pin felt exactly the same way about her as she did about him. Emma waved goodbye to Olivia when she noticed her team started walking away and followed them out.

"No crown for either of you?" Gaby taunted Mia and Zoe as she walked past them.

"Or for you," Mia quipped back.

"Difference is, I was doing it for fun. You Bright Fields kids take yourself too seriously," Gaby said as she walked away, and Emma followed her without saying anything. Maybe Gaby had been a little harsh, but Emma had to admit she was right. Maid of the island was a fun competition, Mia and Zoe had been taking it so seriously they weren't enjoying it. Emma and the rest of the Holloway team loaded up their gear and horses before making their way back to Holloway. Once they'd reached the school, Emma hastily changed out of her Maid of the Island costume before making her way back out to help everyone unload their gear. Across the yard, she spotted Pin talking to Gaby. Emma waited for Pin to be alone again and approached him. He quickly closed his palm when he noticed her approaching.

"So, you and Olivia, what's that all about?" Emma asked him, cutting straight to the chase.

"What?" Pin asked.

"Come on you don't have to play dumb with me," Emma joked, elbow jabbing Pin in the arm.

"What, did Olivia say something about me?" He asked hopefully.

"No, but I see the way you look at her, and the way she looks at you," Emma said.

"Olivia doesn't like me like that," Pin said, looking down.

"Believe what you will, but Olivia isn't going to wait for you forever. So I'd suggest you shoot your shot before somebody else does," Emma simply said, walking away.