Chapter 2: The Jackson Family

The house was on fire. Jack was hiding behind the sofa silently. Tears were forming in his eyes as he watched his father. He was brawling relentlessly with a big and tall man with a black top hat. His father was no match for the gigantic-sized man and was eventually beaten. The huge man approached Jack's mother. He looked disappointed, as though he didn't want this to happen. 

"You done yet? " The voice only came from the entrance. 

The huge figure approached the woman who was in tears as she watched her husband lying on the floor, unable to move. The big man grabbed the woman's arm by force as he leaves for the entrance. 

"Took you forever big man. " The same voice came from outside again, followed by a laugh. "His majesty will surely be pleased with your performance tonight. Well done, Mr Hugo. "

He just sighed as he took the woman with him as he leaves the house. They left on their horses, with the woman struggling relentlessly while being restrained by a tight knot on the wrists. The monstrous flame wasn't stopping and kept growing like a monster in berserk. 

"No! Don't take mom! No! " Jack shouted in desperation. The two uninvited guests left and Jack immediately ran towards the door. He saw them leaving before rushing to his father who was covered in blood spoke 

His father spoke weakly, "Son... "

"Dad! " 

"I'm fine- " He smiled as he coughed out blood, knowing he doesn't have much time left.

"Dad- "

"I love you Jack, " He reached for his brown jacket on the sofa. Carefully, he puts it on little Jack, "I'll be watching you... from up there... so, " Jack hugged his father tightly while tears were pouring down non-stop. The man hugged his son one last time. He picked little Jack up as he reach for the entrance. 

"Don't hate this... world... too much... my son... " As he mustered his last ounce of strength, he flung little Jack out of the house before it collapsed. "I love you my son. " 

---

Jack opened his eyes. He jolted up from lying on the bed. He was sweating profusely as he scanned the unfamiliar surrounding. He looked left, then right- 

"His awake! " The voice was loud and high pitched. 

Jack got surprised at the sight of an unfamiliar face. On his right, sat on a chair, was a young little boy, around the same age as him. He had the same black colored hair, groomed into a wavy pattern. His eyes were the color of brown. He was wearing a miniature white buttoned shirt with brown pants.  

"Watch your steps little one! " A woman dressed in a black round gown with blond hair guided a kid to the entrance of the room. She wore a petite dress of the same color as the woman and had a green eye color with curly orange hair.

"Wow! I thought you were dead! " The little girl spoke with an astonished look at Jack.

"Language, young lady! " The woman in the black dress glared at the girl. Then she approaches Jack who was completely awed as he slowly takes in his surroundings. "You must be feeling better now. Here's some fresh corn and beans. Oh! And a cup of milk. You must be hungry. "

"Hungry" was an understatement, really. The famished child chunked the food in his mouth aggressively and chucked the milk within a few minutes The trio watched the kid finish his food with a smile on two of them, and the other, surprisingly disgusted.

The little girl was flabbergasted at the sight. "My god, I've never seen anyone eat like a completely deranged beast. " 

The little boy in white shirt finally spoke. He leaned close to Jack. "Ignore little Gwendy there, she's got a foul mouth since the moment she was born. " He smiled at the little girl in black dress as he successfully annoyed her. "By the way, I'm Matt. "

"Stop calling me Gwendy! " She looked at Jack with a pout expression, "The name's Gwen, don't ever call me Gwendy like this idiot right here! " She proclaimed as she pointed The boy and the woman shared a laugh together. 

The woman sat next to Jack on the bed. "I am Ms. Valentine, may we ask for your name young one? "

"I'm... Jack. "

The woman smiled as she acknowledged and continued. "Nice to meet you Jack! So how are you feeling now? "  

Jack reluctantly smiled and nodded. "I'm feeling better now Ms. Valentine. " He looked around and asked. "Where am I? What happened? " He realized his brown jacket was gone and panicked. "Where's my jacket? Have you seen it? "

"Oh! Don't worry, it's in the laundry. It'll be clean in no time. " Ms. Valentine was about to ask about the large brown jacket, but decided not to. She probably guessed  why Mr Jackson brought the kid back home. 

"Mr Jackson found you along the alley in Norway street and sent you back here to heal up. You were passed out this whole time, so don't go anywhere and take a good rest here. " Matt explained with concerns in his eyes.

"Well, I thought about why Mr Jackson would bring home a dead kid. Pretty sure you were dead. " 

"Hey! That's no way to speak to our guest Gwendy! "

"I told you to stop calling me that! "

They then got into a little fight.

"Anyways, Master told me to look after you. " Ms. Valentine then remembered something. "He also said you'll be joining the family! "

The two kids stopped fighting and looked at Jack simultaneously. Before Ms. Valentine took the kids with her to leave. 

"Be seeing you Jack! " Matt waved before he left. 

"What's Michael thinking? " Muttered a frowning Gwen as she walks alongside the two other.

Jack stared into space again. He was thinking about what happened that night when his parents were taken from him. He tightened his grip on his blanket.

I won't forgive them for what they've done!