Chapter 5-Confrontation

Isabel's POV

"Okay, we're almost there." Alison's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. We were now in Avery's neighborhood. I knew that she would be hiding in her room from everybody under her blanket cuddling with her alpaca stuffed toy that I got her on her 9th birthday. I knew it was her ritual. I knew that she always did this when she was upset or thinking about bringing radical changes in her life. Perks of having her as a childhood friend. I smiled to myself remembering the first time I went over to Avery's house to apologize to her.

I knew that she was alone in her house. Avery's mum had passed away when she was very young. We had just become friends when the tragedy had occured. Her mother was a very beautiful lady with a soul of an angel. Avery had got most of her features from her mom. She hated it. Whenever she was to look at the mirror she would remember her mother's face. And almost every time she cried.

Avery's dad was mostly busy with his work, going from one country to the next. He loved his daughter but he had to continue his job to fund her.

She never really had a problem with being alone. Simply because, I was her neighbor. She used to come over almost every day. After we reached high school her visits were less frequent. I wasn't hurt. Rather I was glad. What if I couldn't resist myself and end up doing something really bad that I'd regret? Like kiss her! We're talking about teenage raging hormones here. It was so difficult in middle school. Couldn't imagine what would happen if it continued.

"Isabel, we've reached her house. I think. This is her house, yes?" I heard Alison say. I nodded. I got out of the car after telling her to stay I the car. I used my crutches, provided so graciously by the nurse who was missing from her office. Weird. where was the nurse?

I got my spare keys to her house and unlocked the door. Avery had given me the spare keys to her house last year. She knew she needed me to make her feel better. Vice versa might I add.

I used the crutches and reached upstairs. Don't ask me how. After what seemed like a lifetime I reached her room and opened the door slowly.

I saw her curled up into a ball lying on her bed cuddling her alpaca. I smiled at the sight. She hasn't changed a bit. I thought to myself.

I sat on the edge of her bed and slowly placed my arm on hers. Startled by the intrusion she got up. She relaxed immediately looking at me.

"I'm sorry Av. For everything" I apologized sincerely. She just sat there staring at me. I didn't know what those beautiful blue eyes held for me.

What is it, love? Are you disgusted by me?

"Avery, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to see what you saw. I'm sorry that you have to tolerate my disgusting habits. I understand if you don't wanna be friends anymore. I understand if you're disgusted by my love for women. I understand if you want to stay away. I'm sorry I'm this way I-" I was interrupted as I felt Avery shift and lean towards me. I took the courage to look into her eyes.

The next thing I felt was her hand slapping my face. Wait. What. Did she just slap me? As if on cue my cheeks started burning and I felt pain seep through.

I stared at her, unable to comprehend what she was thinking. Her eyes held anger and rage. What.

I saw her raise her hand again. I closed my eyes waiting for the impact. But it never came. Instead I felt her gentle arms hug me. She cried into my chest and held onto me as if her life depended on it.

"H-hhow could you say that Is? How could you think I was disgusted by you? How could you think that I was tolerating you all this time? I love you, Isabel. As my best friend, there was no way on earth I would hate you for who you were. How c-could you think that Is?" She told me between her sobs. I looked into her eyes and I saw pain.

I regretted it immediately. Did I really doubt her?

I hugged her and apologized profusely. "So why did you runaway then Avery?" I asked after she stopped sobbing.

"I-I don't know. I think I was just surprised that's all. I mean, you just met her today. So I was surprised. I guess I didn't think you move that quickly when you like somebody. I guess it was overwhelming to see that my innocent best friend was doing something that was not so innocent." I blushed at her statement.

"I guess it's just because I'm a really good kisser perhaps" I hears a voice behind me. Alison.

I turned around. When did she get here? Did she hear everything?

I heard Avery scoff at her. I guess she still didn't like her. Its only been a day. I was aware. But she isn't a girl to hold grudges. I guess they'll get along eventually. Maybe. Hopefully?

"So I take it that you guys are back to normal? Back to inseparable hot sisters?" She asked smirking and winking at me.

I blushed at her comment. What is she doing? I smiled and nodded.

"What are you doing in my house Alison?" Woah where did all that hostility come from?

"Well you don't suppose your friend drove herself with a broken leg right? And you're welcome fiesty one. Its because of me she's here apologizing" she said smiling cockily.

"Its also because if you that she's here Ms. Alison Tetherfield." This time I saw Avery smile coyly.

What was going on? I saw Alison flinch when she heard her full name. "Whatever, I'm out gorgeous eyes. Call me when you want a booty call perhaps. Bye tity face" she blew a kiss my way and with that she was out of the room.

I heard Av sigh. I guess she's tired. Can't blame her though.

I smiled at her once again and hugged her. Just as I was taking my crutches I felt her hands touch mine.

Sparks were felt and my heart fluttered.

"Stay with me today" I saw Avery with her pleading eyes.

I smiled and nodded. I got into the bed carefully and she hugged me tight. I hoped that she could not hear my racing heart.

I thought of the effect she had on me and what she could make me feel simply by calling out my name. I felt my eyes getting heavy, yet once again Avery was my last thought before I fell asleep.