no day to waste

CHAPTER THREE
"no day to waste"

That Monday was a sick day. I woke up with my head throbbing, throat aching, and overall feeling upside down. I held no malice about it- sick days were my favourite days, and my weekend was the first weekend in a while where I hadn't felt as if I had wasted it.

Keith was sour, of course. He hated school as much as I did, but he was not quite as academically well at it as I was, and so he hated that aspect too. He tried to whine his way out of going, but we really were only allowed to stay home from school if we had a fever, which I did.

I was careful to plan out my day, even if I was sick. I decided to read, watch television, read and prepare dinner early, and in that order. And so, I was reading when a familiar figure began to crawl through my bedroom window.

"Jesus Buddy!" His familiar worn converse poked their way through my curtains as I clutched my heart, beating miles a minute. Instead of an apology, his head followed him through the window, smiling brightly as he swung himself down to sit on my bed.

"Uhm... this is stalker-level behaviour, Kramer. I mean seriously, I may have to look into a restraining order." I told him, like my day didn't have an empty aspect without being able to see him. He only smiled, his eyes crinkling the way they always do, laying back with his arms crossed behind his head.

"You know, Daisy, you really worried me," He voiced, looking around my room. It made me feel self conscious- money wise, we were quite comfortable, but my family liked having money more than spending, so that meant I hadn't had a room makeover since I was twelve. The walls were still, unfortunately, pink and there were stuffed animals everywhere, "I dunno," I urged him to finish, "Your dad just sounded so damn angry last night, and when you didn't show up... I dunno..."

He knew, and obviously so did I, what he was implying. I shrugged, not angry at the intent like some others might've been, instead charmed. I looked at the time- it was normally lunch time, and instead of being at school like he should've been, Buddy Kramer was in my pink bedroom tossing my teddy bear up in the air and catching it like a football.

"Why aren't you at school?" We asked each other, at the same time. I gestured to the plethora of tissues all over the floor, the various medicine bottles on my nightstand and the thenomater beside them which answered his question. He bit his tongue on that, "Well, school's boring without you, Daisy."

I hummed in thought- he found this humorous, and repeated it, so I did, and we took to this until we laughed it out. It was easy to laugh with Buddy; I did not get that feeling with Amelia, Laura.. Not even Keith.

"Are you feeling sickly?" He asked me, tenderly. I nodded, but for effect, I stuck the thermometer in my mouth and waited until it would read off my fever. Once he read it, this made him jump up, "You should take the bed! Have you taken medicine- of course you have, it's right there..."

I held my hands up, laughing a bit, "Calm down Buddy, I'm feeling sick, not dying!" He repeated what I said in a mocking high pitched tone, grabbing my wrist and nudging me gently to lay on the bed. He stood there, above me for a moment, thinking, before he moved the kleenex box closer to me- he then did something I did not expect. He crawled over me, and laid down beside me, so that our heads shared the same pillow.

My breath left me, noticeably so; in a panic, Buddy poked his head up, hair slightly messed from laying on it, "Are you okay?! Do you need some water?"