Squid Games

The three finalists all sat on their beds, peering at one another as they waited for something to happen. The prize money still hung from the piggybank still in the room. Sae-Byeok's mind was in the clouds that she didn't pay attention to Player 456 approach her. 

"Sae-Byeok. It's alright. I didn't come here to kill you," said Player 456. "You've been dozing off. I'd have killed you already if I wanted to." 

Tears glistened from the candles in the centre of the room. He looked at his knife and then over at his friend who sat precariously, waiting to make his move. He then put his knife away to show that he truly did mean her no harm. 

"I have this because of Sang-Woo there. Protection, you know." 

Sae-Byeok lowered her knife arm and allowed him to keep her company, knowing of what troubled her. 

"I'm sorry about your friends." 

"Are you? Leave me alone." 

"Hey, Kang Sae-Byeok. We should stick together. We can beat him. Whatever the game is, we can do it together and show that psychopath what we can do. We can share the prize money." 

The two glanced at the piggybank hanging from the ceiling to remind them of what they were fighting for. 

"And you know what you're gonna do with all that money once we get out?" She asked in a soft and gentle voice. 

"I'll pay my debt off first and buy a nice clean store in the city for my mom. She always hoped to run a, a real store. Not just a little stall. And I would... finally start being a dad to my girl, for once in my life." 

"How old is your girl?" 

"Ten." 

She chuckled. "That's also how old my little brother is." 

"And where is your brother staying now?" 

The smile on her face faded away, her expression formed that of a sombre one. "In an orphanage. I promised that he'd get out of there soon. Our mother is stuck in the north right now. I said I'd get her once I was able to make enough money, and get us all a house." 

"There's so much money in there. I think even with half, you'll have plenty." 

The two glanced at the piggybank once more. 

"Hey, Gi-Hun. I think you and I should make a deal." Sae-Byeok spoke a little louder. 

He craned his head around at her, curiosity written over his face. "What kind of deal?" 

"Just in case either of us can actually make it out of this hellhole, somehow, well look after each other's loved ones." 

"Don't say that. come on." We'll beat Sang-Woo and then we'll get the hell out of here together." 

"Can you do it, though? He's your friend." 

Gi-Hun stared coldly at the man on the other side of the room and responded in a murmur. "He's not my friend anymore." 

It was there that Gi-Hun noticed his enemy beginning to doze off. Just when he was about to get up and finish him off, he felt Sae-Byeok's hand touch his arm, stopping him from getting up. She looked down at him and shook her head faintly, giving him the indication to not do what he planned on doing. 

Instead, she took his place. She left him in shock as she began to creep towards Sang-Woo. He wanted to stop her, but another part of him said otherwise. As she stalked her prey, Sae-Byeok clutched onto the knife in her hand, anxious to kill. It was not the first time and it certainly would not be the last.