Forces

I abandoned the rest of the troupe at the edge of the walkway. I had never been back to this house alone. I felt brave today. The house had a much brighter context to me than it used to. I knocked on the door. I took a deep breath. 

"Caius," my mother hugged me tightly. "What brings you here?"

"Is Ana here?" I let her go.

"No," she shook her head. "Why? What happened?"

"Analeise ran away," I sighed. "She's good at doing that when she's in trouble."

"Well, I can say she learned that tactic from you," she brushed my cheeks. "Not that it wasn't a good idea. It's the only effective method she's seen."

"Caius!" Clara rushed out. "I thought that was you."

"Hey," I smiled, hugging her against my side. "Well, I have one other place to check before I give up."

"Where would that be?" My mother spoke up.

"Schloctus," I shivered.

"Are you okay?" Clara looked up at me.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm not sure why. Schloctus doesn't feel like a good place. It never has."

My mother gave me a small smile. "I'm not sure why. There are schools and businesses and a great stand that sells treats."

"I don't like the idea of trafficking little kids off because of their powers. It's not like I've had much use for it anyway."

"Caius," my mother reached for me.

"It's fine," I brushed her away. "It's over now."

"Can I come with you?" Clara stuck to me. "I know where Ana likes to go. I also know which school is hers."

My mother appeared hopeful at this display. I caved. I did need Clara's information. Besides, I think she needed out of the house.

"That's fine, let's go."

"Be home before dark!" My mother called after us.

"I'll bring her home, don't worry," I turned around.

Clara waved excitedly at Salvador, waiting on the path with Eleise in his arms. Nox was still visibly very upset. Silver was the odd addition to this troupe. He was there to keep an eye on Nox, I suppose. 

"Hey, Caius," Clara suddenly lost all her happiness. "Were you ever in Schloctus?" 

"No," I glanced down at her. "Why?"

She hesitated. "When dad was selling off Nintia, he brought me with him. I swear I saw you there. It couldn't have been, though. You were missing your wings."

I blinked at her. Something in my head hurt. It was foggy. I could taste vomit.

"That's impossible," I shook my head. "Clara, please don't talk about him."

"It was right before dad died," Clara was nervous. "I'm sorry, I just wondered."

"What?" I let out a nervous chuckle. "You think I could have killed him? I could barely face him."

"Caius," she was so serious.

"No," I persisted. "It's impossible. I never ran into him after I had left." 

Why was my head throbbing? I pressed my fingers into my temples. 

Boy.

"Hey," Salvador intruded. "'Hat's goin' on?"

"Were we ever in Schloctus?" I stared up into his ocean blue eyes. When was the last time I noticed how clear they were?

"No," Sal answered immediately.