The Life We Choose

"Wake, my darling," I heard in my ear.

"Why?" I whined, turning over.

"We are to ascend upon the Citadel today," Argus grinned. "We must go save the baby boy."

"Ugh," I sat up. "I forgot."

"Are we donning our disguises?" he disappeared into our closet.

"Not a question for me," I reached for my glasses.

He resurfaced. "Imagine the scandal. The gods upon the Citadel. Oh, what horrors that must mean."

"Just what the gods need," I wiped the lenses before resting the glasses on my nose.

Argus paused before me. "You know what I miss? Your ink. The one on your shoulder and the one you later got on your leg."

I sighed. "Why are you thinking about those things?"

"Because the gods are descending upon the Citadel. What a better time to replace those glorious pieces that used to grace your skin."

"The shoulder piece was a tradition from my clan," I argued. "I used to hate it."

"But it has new meaning now," he tried. "You survived."

"I'll consider it," I stood.

Argus kissed my shoulders. He was more than willing to help disrobe me so I could get ready for the day, but I turned him down. We continued to the dining room.

"We're receiving Orpheus today," Vettleguise started.

"Well aware," Argus grinned. "Mind if we leave for the Citadel a few hours early?"

"Why?" Cali inquired. "Vettleguise has already grabbed all of Orpheus' requirements."

"Some light shopping is all," Argus assured her. "It's been some time since I've been to the Citadel. Much less as god."

"I'm not opposed as long as you are at Delta Ace at the correct time," Levi shrugged.

"We should use disguises then," I sipped my tea. "We don't want to scare the fae in town."

Argus and I performed the magic for our disguises. We went through Mother Gaia's halls to get to the Citadel.

I dreaded the sight of it. If anything, the Citadel had only grown larger since we had been here. There were far more fae here than I imagined possible. Getting through the streets was going to be a nightmare.

"Come along," Argus grabbed my arm.

He weaved me through the streets. We discovered the fountain, what used to be the center of the Citadel. We admired how much the city had grown from its small, humble beginnings.

"Ah, would you look over there," Argus pointed.

There was an ink shop beyond the fountain. He was sincerely pressuring me into putting the ink back on my body. I had to admit, it did make me feel more myself. I missed the glimpses of black in the mirror.

"Fine," I sighed. "You are conniving."

We entered the ink shop. A woman appeared from behind the curtain. She scanned us over before she spoke.

"I can tell what you are," she leaned on the counter. "Your disguises aren't quite working."

"Why not?" Argus pressed.

"You have faery wings," she grinned. "You're in the age of pixies."

"I hadn't thought of it," I flushed.

"Pixies don't have wing patterns such as yours any longer. Aside from perhaps Gudell fae but, their wings are fused together."

"Who are you then?" Argus asked. "So high and mighty."