Deals

Calliope's eyes snapped open, meeting mine. 

"You felt him too, right, Levi?" 

I nodded. A dark presence I hadn't felt in a very long time. 

"Whatever could it be now?" Argus huffed.

"Dorimir is back on the playing field," Ezra answered.

"Well," Argus grumbled. "We know where his allegiances lie, with that no good rotten father of his."

Cali laughed brightly. "But now he might be willing to listen to Orpheus. He helped Orpheus out, all with a little prayer."

"Orpheus is the key to our future," Ezra stiffened as his eyes took over the colors of the Newartic moons. "Orpheus will break through the facade Serberous has built for Dorimir going back millennia. His love will shatter Dorimir's reality."

"We can turn the tides in our favor," Cali grabbed my hand excitedly.

I had met Dorimir not long after becoming immortal. He took one look at me and laughed. A shattered soul immune to death. I was laughable to him. 

I had met him again, taking the life of a fae. I collected their soul after he disappeared.

But more recently, I had been taking up Dorimir's job of putting souls to death, such as with Ezra. Dorimir had all but disappeared, requiring me to take his helm. I wondered if the recent uptick in his appearance meant something awful was coming our way.

"I am going to take a short break," I stood. "Please watch over Arn for me, Argus."

"I've got it," Ezra waved both of us off. 

I slipped into the hallway. I pulled my gloves off as I headed down the corridor. Scars ringed every joint in my body. Touching Dorimir's magic sent shivers down my spine. 

Part of me was thrilled about this war we would embark upon. I was excited to have some new godly specimens to study. 

However, before that was possible, we had to wait for our sons to return from their ventures. I grabbed my book from my bedside table. I headed back to our mediation room. 

Whatever happened, it was meant to be. I had to protect Arn to the best of my ability from here.

~*~

A knock rang out across my door. No one ever came up here besides Thalia to make sure I was still alive, I'm sure. I found the preface and opened it.

A boy stood there, heaving.

"Urgent letter from Caliope," he huffed. "Special delivery."

"Uh, thank you," I reached into my coat and dropped a few Gaellieons in his empty palms.

"Pleasure," he tipped his hat, wandering off.

I turned the letter over. This envelope was larger than those I usually received from Nox. Sure enough, though, his name graced the front of the envelope. I flipped it over, peeling the beautiful blue-pearly wax off the back so as not to break it. The wax was inlaid with crushed sea shells and a singular pearl. It was gorgeous. I would put it in my memory box.

Another letter fell out of my envelope. This one was addressed explicitly to Salvador. I sank against the door, opening my letter from Nox.

I teared up at the sight of his poor hand scrawl. I missed him so much. Why couldn't I have gone to Caliope with him? This was almost killing me.

My dearest Ana-

Things have gotten odd on Caliope. More than just your friend Eleise, we have discovered that the other Splinters from the prison below the Grund were also resurrected. Eleise's husband, Lir, was found here in the Zommar fae. I can't help but wonder if the other Splinters have been resurrected or if the others are still coming, so I need you to deliver this letter to Sal.