Prologue

A/N: This fic has morphed itself into a series that is just obsessed with making sure Morro gets his redemption arc. As I was writing this particular story, I started to realize that there aren't many other fanfics about Morro in DotD. I've seen a handful of stories that take place in some vague AU where Morro went through the Rift and became human again, but I have yet to see one about how he went through the Rift (tell me if you know of any tho, I'd love to read more). But that only gave me more reason to finish this fic. For now, I'm happy to help fill the void.

Also, just to be clear, I won't be shipping Morro with any of the main characters. But I am very excited to get to the next installment and start pushing the chaotic Morro & Lloyd cousins dynamic >:)

Finally, reminder that I haven't had access to the show since after March of the Oni, and I don't know if it's relevant, but please no spoilers if anything comes up that just so happens to disagree with cannon.

Without any further ado, I present what I hope to be the first in another lengthy series: Legacy of the Departed.

. . .

The Realm portal snapped shut over Morro's head as he landed in a crouch on the Preeminent's back. He threw one last look up, but the starry sky was empty, with just a hint of dawn creeping over the horizon. No on had followed him through. Morro had finally won.

A relieved laugh escaped his lips, bubbling into a victorious cackle. "I finally got rid of you!" After all that trouble, the Green Gi was his. He had proven himself as the better ninja, and for a moment, it was all worth it.

Perhaps one day he would appreciate that the story didn't end there.

In the next few moments, the Preeminent lurched beneath his feet. Morro took a sharp breath and grabbed for one of the Preeminent's tentacles to keep his footing as water sprayed over his legs, burning like acid. Droplets of water raged and spun all around them, reaching up as if with a mind of its own. It wrapped around the Preeminent and dragged her off her wooden stilts into the depths of the ocean. She howled with pain and Morro leapt away, using a jet of wind to buoy himself up. All around, the other ghosts dropped like stones as they lost purchase on their master. Green mist sprouted where they fell and soon blanketed the sea. Morro struggled to support himself with just one hand, the other clutching the Realm Crystal.

But the Preeminent was merciless, unforgiving. She would see to it that no one escaped her fate. Her tentacle latched around Morro's waist and dragged him out of the sky. Morro threw his free hand out to blow back against her pull and stopped just short of the water level. The ocean waves rolled hungrily beneath his feet like a pack of starving dogs. He grit his teeth and pushed back, determined not to let it end when he was so, so close.

Morro's head snapped up at the sound of beating wings. Sensei Wu hovered on his energy dragon overhead. "Take my hand!" he said, reaching towards Morro.

Gritting his teeth, Morro held the crystal close. "Why! So you can take the Realm Crystal and use it to find your own prized pupil?"

"You are all my prized pupils," Wu said, his eyes wide and pleading. "But none of us can do this alone."

Morro looked down at the water. The Preeminent's grip was growing tighter. The agony of the poisonous sea was making her more desperate and angry. Morro could feel his own strength starting to wane in contrast, and his arm strained to push the winds beneath him.

"You're strong," Wu continued. "But it takes others to make us stronger. Even me. Take my hand, so we can be stronger together!"

Morro gazed at the outstretched hand. He wanted to believe Wu, to believe that he still cared about him. Everything Morro had worked so hard for was crumbling around his head, and he wanted to believe that Sensei Wu still saw something worth saving.

"Please, Morro," Wu begged.

Morro took his hand. Although they both pulled with all their might, the Preeminent was still stronger. Morro wondered if she even knew what she was holding onto, or if she was clinging, just as desperate, to her last moments of life. Wu's hand shook with the effort, and for a moment Morro feared that the old fool would drown himself trying to save him. But maybe that just proved how much he meant what he said.

Morro sighed, realizing just how tired he was. "You can only save those who want to be saved." He gazed up at his old Sensei, silhouetted by the dawning sky, and found some comfort in those old, familiar eyes. "Goodbye, Sensei."

Somehow Morro managed to smile. Maybe he was too proud for his own good, or maybe he was still trying to make Wu proud by being brave. But he offered one last smile, disappointed that he didn't have more time to let Wu know how he wished things could have been different.

Realization crossed Sensei Wu's face right as Morro let go and shoved the Realm Crystal into his hand. The Preeminent's pull was fast – but Wu was faster.

His other hand latched onto Morro's wrist. He leaned precariously from his dragon, but he held fast. He probably would have been plucked from the dragon's back if not for the wave that rose suddenly beneath them. The water tossed and churned over the Preeminent's tentacle, creeping higher and higher as it just barely missed Morro's feet. She roared as her grasp finally loosened. Hands locked together, Morro and Wu gave one last pull. With another growl she finally let go and fell away into the sea.

Morro's ghostly body slammed against Wu's dragon, and he gasped, the pain registering more clearly than anything else. Sensei Wu's hand still clung to his, and it was for that reason alone that he summoned the strength to reach up and grab the ridges on the dragon's back. Morro heaved himself up as Sensei Wu shifted around to face him.

As Wu laid a hand on his back – it was hardly more than a dim impression to him – Morro tentatively looked up.

"I failed you once before," Wu said quietly. "But I won't let you go so easily again."

Morro vaguely shook his head. This wasn't Wu's fault, it was his. It was Morro who should have known better. He was nothing, he had always been nothing. It was his fault for wanting to be more.

As if he knew what Morro was thinking, Sensei Wu held him by the shoulders, crystal still in hand. "You are my pupil, Morro, you always will be. And that means everything to me."

Morro didn't have an answer for that. He didn't know how Wu could still have so much faith in him. As his gaze drifted over to the boat full of civilians, he saw the ninja watching them. Whatever Wu thought of him, he knew the ninja would never feel the same. In fact, as soon as they got the chance, they would probably throw him into some deepstone prison in the middle of nowhere for the rest of his afterlife. Morro's hands clenched, bunching up the ghostly fabric of his ragged pants.

"You're wrong about me," he told Wu. He got to his feet, and before Wu could try to stop him, he jumped and conjured his own energy dragon. He had done it enough times with Lloyd that now he finally knew how to do it himself. As Morro shot into the sky, four more dragons appeared from the boat and swept after him.

He didn't look back but forced himself higher and higher. The air turned colder and thinned out, but Morro didn't feel it. One by one the ninja fell behind until only Zane could keep up with him. But as Morro dove into the clouds, even the nindroid soon lost track of him.

And in the blink of an eye, Morro escaped from the ninja's grasp. They would search everywhere, but it wasn't so easy to track down a ghost that didn't want to be found. In time they would have no choice but to wait, and to wonder what terrible scheme he might return with to exact his revenge.