Chapter Five.

"Mommy. Mommy, wake up. You're supposed to be up by now. Get up!"

The voice that had been only a wordless murmur grew more distinct, as did the prodding in my side. Groaning, I cracked an eye open to see September perched on the bed beside me, staring at me with worried amethyst eyes. I blinked groggily, trying to clear my head.

"Daddy's here, Mommy," She announced.

I slowly pushed myself into a sitting position and looked around. Declan stood at the foot of the bed, his frown matching September's worried eyes. Some of the worry cleared from his face when I sat up, and a light smile replaced the frown on his lips.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," He teased.

I blinked and pushed my tangled hair away from my face. "What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Just past eleven-thirty."

That made me more alert. I glanced at the clock on my dresser and groaned. I was three hours late for work. It would be hard enough seeing Jacob today; now I would more than likely get in trouble for being late.

Sighing, I slid out of bed. I frowned at what September was wearing. "Honey, why are you still in your pajamas?" I asked. "You have to be at school in less than thirty minutes."

She shrugged, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

I sighed again. "Have you eaten?"

She nodded.

"Alright, then go pick out your clothes and hurry and get dressed."

As she turned to leave, I lightly tapped her butt to get her moving quickly, which earned me a reproachful glare.

I looked to Declan and asked, "Would you mind helping her while I get dressed?"

He smiled lightly and nodded, then headed after her.

It was going to be so much easier having him around.

I quickly stripped out of my pajamas and changed into a comfortable pair of jeans and my favorite Lynard Skynard t-shirt, then yanked a brush through my hair in attempt to tame it and pulled it into a ponytail. I moved to the bathroom next and brushed my teeth, attempting to be speedy and thorough. Dropping the tooth brush, I hurried to September's room, where I found Declan brushing her hair. I stopped for a moment to watch them.

September sat in his lap, quietly mumbling the words to a song. It took me a moment to realize it was All My Loving by The Beatles. Declan gently pulled her brush through her dark hair, his other hand smoothing it down as he did. A grin crossed his lips, and he began to hum the tune. September turned to look at him, a curious smile forming. She added a bit of volume to her voice, her words becoming more clear. Declan set the brush aside and wrapped his arms around. He began to sing with her.

"Close your eyes and I'll kiss you; tomorrow I'll miss you. Remember I'll always be true. And then while I'm away, I'll write home every day, and I'll send all my loving to you."

Their voices blended together, a clean tenor and a high, slightly off key soprano. The child gave a delighted giggle, and Declan's expression softened, his eyes filling with love as he hugged her closer, attacking her with kisses, making her giggle more.

A warm feeling came over me. They had known each other for barely over a week, and already they were bonded the way a father and daughter should be. It made me happy to witness this; it was also a huge relief that September trusted Declan the way she trusted me.

I cleared my throat, gathering their attention. "Are we ready to go?"

They nodded. September wiggled out of her father's arms. She ran to her closet and dug her flats out and slid them on, then hurried to me and took my hand. With Declan following behind, we hurried out to the car. Declan strapped September into her car seat while I started the engine. I waited until he was in the passenger seat and buckled in before driving away.