five, avery

honey! i killed the kids!
chapter five
. . . .

ZAYN POTTER PRIDED himself on the fact that he had two, loving cousins, even though Persephone doesn't really talk to Fleamont, for obvious reasons. They spoke plenty to him and trust Zayn when he says that he's tried everything in his power to get them to talk to each other. He made sure they accidentally ran into each other and even though the conversation was always awkward between them, because Fleamont didn't know what to say and Persephone would rather not be anywhere near him, Zayn still tried his absolute best. Lowell Potter trusted him in making sure her children talk to each other at school, even if it's just for ten seconds, and Zayn was one of those people who didn't break their promises that easily.

He knew deep down that both Persephone and Fleamont still care deeply for each other, the other was just blinded by years of neglect and the other by fear.

Walking to Potions that day, with Persephone giggling behind him with Malfoy, felt like more of a chore than a want and a need to learn. He knew Tom Riddle couldn't do anything to him but it had been the way Persephone said too bad to him. He had asked her what exactly she meant with those words but Persephone had sweetly smiled at him, poison spreading across her face and she swore she had no idea what he was on about. Zayn had never been so scared in his life before, nonetheless scared of his cousin, one he absolutely loved.

"Stefi!" A voice yelled behind them and they all turned around, seeing Isaac Granger run towards them, face sweaty, heart racing and breathing harsh. He had been one of the only boys who really got close to Persephone, in the way Malfoy was trying to get close to her now. But Isaac never succeeded, he was Fleamont's best bud and the former had punched him when he learned he nearly kissed his sister. "It's Fleamont, he's in the Hospital Wing!" He cried out, dread thickly laced in his words and the girl clenched her jaw. "He got in a fight with..." Isaac took a deep breath in. "With Avery, he's hurt pretty badly."

Persephone's feet refused to move, even when Zayn tugged on her shoulder, telling her that they should go check on him but Persephone couldn't bring herself to. She knew she didn't hate her brother, she still loved him dearly but she's been a ghost to him, all because she wore the Slytherin badge on her heart. She also didn't quite get why Avery punched Fleamont. Did the boy the Slytherin? Or was he merely at the right place at the wrong time?

"Stefi, come on." Zayn begged, tears threatening to blossom in his eyes when he saw the girl shake her head. "It's Fleamont..."

"I can't be late for class, Zayn, I'm a Prefect. What example am I setting for everyone who looks up to the Prefects?"

"Is your reputation more important than your brother?" Zayn asked, heart shattering and Persephone looked away, the sound too much to bare.

"Yes."

"But you grew up with Fleamont... he's still your brother, Stefi."

"I'm not wasting my time by going there and finding Monty perfectly in tact." Persephone shook her head, gently grabbing Malfoy's hand and they walked away, her demolished heart blowing off into the morning air, never to be seen again.

PERSEPHONE WAS ENTIRELY confused. She and Avery weren't friends and they never will be, especially since she murdered his hamster. It was an honest mistake, she never told the thing to have fragile bones and get underneath her boots. Maybe it's was partially her fault as well, even when she heard that crunch of bones, she still stomped on it. But right now, she was confused as to why Avery did what he's done. Why did he punch Fleamont? Did Tom order him to do it? Or did Fleamont insult him? But that's absurd right? Why would Fleamont insult the one person from the group of people he can't stand? It doesn't make any sense to Persephone, which is why she sat across Avery, who had a purple bruise forming on his left eye and Persephone wondered if his split lip bothered him.