Chapter 1

---

"Espresso, time to get up! School starts in an hour, and it's your first day as well." Espresso heard his mom yell from downstairs. Oh boy, it's the best day in human history.. He thought. Even with the door shut, his mother sure could scream. It was quite annoying at times when he didn't need her nagging but Espresso could deal with it. He drowsily opened his eyes and saw the light pouring out from the window, it was a Monday, which meant the first day of school, as his mother said. The first day of his last year of high school, to be specific. Espresso was staring at the ceiling for a few seconds until he decided to get up and get ready. Tilting his head from his pillow, Espresso looked at the nightstand next to his bed and found his glasses sitting there. He grabbed them and slid them onto his face and got his bangs out of the way. Espresso tore the covers off and quickly made the bed, then departed to the bathroom down the hall from his room.

He took a speedy shower and dried his dark, brown hair while also brushing his teeth. Espresso could multitask when he wanted to, so this process went by rather quickly.

After clearing his face up and getting clean, he had brought some clothes with him to the bathroom before so he could change after the shower. He got his school uniform on him and left the bathroom, he turned off the light and closed the door, and made his way downstairs. "Hi, honey. Do you have everything for today?" Espresso's mother asked as soon as she could see him. She was in the kitchen getting her things together, as she would have to leave for work soon, "Now, where are my keys..?" Espresso heard her mutter to herself, as she was searching the kitchen drawer for her car keys.

"My bag is upstairs, but I have some time to spare. And yes, everything is in there. I just need to pack myself some lunch and I'll be on my way, by the way, your keys are on the couch." Espresso told her while getting his shoes from the front door on. "Oh, there they are! Thank you, sweetie." She leaned down to grab the keys off of the couch. "Well, look at the time, I have to get going! Have a good day at school, okay? Make sure you get there on time," She came closer to Espresso and gave him a kiss on his forehead. "I might not be home by the time school ends, so you can go to Latte's house or Madeleine's if you want." She winked. "Yes, yes. I know, thank you, mother." Espresso replied with a sigh. "Welp, I'm off. Once again, have a good day and byee!" She headed for the garage door and shut it as soon as she finished her sentence. The house was disturbingly silent when she's gone. Espresso went to the kitchen and packed a small lunch, he left it on the counter and went back upstairs for his school bag in his room which he totally didn't forget when he went downstairs before.

After getting all of his belongings, he grabbed his phone and his spare house keys and left the house. Espresso locked the front door and walked down his porch steps. The school he went to wasn't too far to walk to so usually Latte, Almond, and Madeleine would all walk there together with him.  Today was a really nice day in Jellystone, the sun shining, not a single cloud in the sky, the grass dancing in the small breeze, it would be a little better if Espresso wasn't so tired, though. Even on summer break, he loved to study as a hobby, and he was up all night doing so. 

Espresso was walking to the group's meeting spot before they would all walk to school, and he saw only Latte there. She was usually the first one anyway, so it didn't surprise him.

He walked up to her and tapped her shoulder. Latte's head perked up, "Oh, hello, Espresso!" Latte turned around and greeted him. They both waved to each other, "Hi, Latte. Are the others going to be here soon?" Espresso returned the hello and asked. "Yep! If they do come here in about ten minutes, however,  we won't be late like last year!" Latte giggled, "Heh, please don't remind me of that disastrous event. When I entered that classroom being tardy, everyone had their eyes on me.." Espresso shivered in embarrassment. It was one of those moments to him that said, 'You'll forget about this in a month!' but remained to haunt him forever.